WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dead Cursor  (Read 8711 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Dead Cursor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 09:18:52 PM »
bushyiii,

this particular issue is a bad md5 file, maybe it needs updating..?
Code: [Select]
tc@box:~$ tce-load -wi xf86-input-synaptics
xf86-input-synaptics.tcz.dep OK
Downloading: xf86-input-synaptics.tcz
Connecting to repo.tinycorelinux.net (89.22.99.37:80)
xf86-input-synaptics 100% |******************************************************************************************************************************************************| 40960   0:00:00 ETA
xf86-input-synaptics.tcz: FAILED
md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 computed checksums did NOT match
Error on xf86-input-synaptics.tcz
tc@box:~$

however this shows the extension was downloaded, so try
tce-load -i xf86-input-synapticsThe extension may load successfully, if not downloading manually maybe the only option until the md5 sum is updated..

There's a lot to absorb if this is your first encounter with tinycore, so here's a tip to help remember the address to download extensions and read the info file etc etc

At the top of tinycore forum web site there are four buttons:  Welcome | FAQ | Downloads | Wiki   
Choose the Downloads button, then under "extensions" select "Browse TCZ's"

in the browser address bar you'll find the current address for all x86 extensions
which contains the latest version's extensions, today this happens to be
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/

lets say you want to read the info file for xf86-input-synaptics extension,  we simply add the name of the extension including tcz.info to the address, which looks like this and hit Enter
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/xf86-input-synaptics.tcz.info

many folks make a mistake when downloading extensions manually, they forget the dep file and all the files listed in that dep file and any deps of those listed deps, etc, etc.

After reading the info file (which BTW is also shown by default when selecting extensions in APPS) you might choose to download your desired extension,  I'd recommend tce-load -wi xf86-input-synaptics or tce-ab > search or APPS.  However if you insist to download in the browser which is likely the only option to get xf86-input-synaptics.tcz, then you can download the required files directly from your browser

http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/xf86-input-synaptics.tcz
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/xf86-input-synaptics.tcz.dep
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/xf86-input-synaptics.tcz.md5.txt
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/libevdev.tcz
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/libevdev.tcz.md5.txt

copy to your tce/optional directory and load
tce-load -i xf86-input-synaptics
good luck

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:25:32 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 09:24:39 PM »
@coreplayer

All the files you listed are removed.  Tried APPS and the download status again said failed.  I then tried using the terminal using tce-load and got back that it was already installed.  So maybe the APPS status message is bogus.   In any event it hasn't helped the problem.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 09:32:02 PM »
Hi bushyiii
Delete the files again and then execute:
tce-load -w -i xf86-input-synaptics That should give a more detailed error message.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 09:32:53 PM »
Hi bushyiii,

sorry, please read my post again which explains the problem and how to resolve the issue

APPS, tce-load and tce-ab will download all required files (its a problem with the md5 file

simply load xf86-input-synaptics
tce-load -i xf86-input-synaptics
this time it should succeed

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 09:52:41 PM »
This is my first taste of Tiny Core, obviously this is the beginning of the journey.  I am so very impressed with everyone's willingness to help me. I am done for tonight,,, will pick this up again in the morning.

Offline Pats

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
If I were new, I would have either tried :

1) I would have tested my Laptop and new hardware with a recent Live CD distro like Debian, Arch , Knoppix etc . If all my hardware like Trackball , pad , keyboard etc  work perfectly, then I assume some problem in TCL ext or drivers. and then try option  2. ...

2) Format the TC partition and install a fresh copy of TC9 and then will try  the curaga solution of xorg and synaptics etc. ... Just my view !

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 01:06:01 AM »
md5sum corrected.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »
If I were new, I would have either tried :

1) I would have tested my Laptop and new hardware with a recent Live CD distro like Debian, Arch , Knoppix etc . If all my hardware like Trackball , pad , keyboard etc  work perfectly, then I assume some problem in TCL ext or drivers. and then try option  2. ...

2) Format the TC partition and install a fresh copy of TC9 and then will try  the curaga solution of xorg and synaptics etc. ... Just my view !

@Pats:
I am searching for what I consider the best distro for my laptop.  I have so far tried puppy, bunsenlabs, Mint, mx-17, antix and bodhi.  I like TinyCore the best.  Every hardware function works perfectly on all the other distros, Tinycore is the only one that isn't using the trackpad.  I will try creating a new bootable thumb drive, clear anything on local storage and give it a try again.

Offline Pats

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 01:35:01 AM »
@ bushyiii     
... I am searching for what I consider the best distro for my laptop. .. ~snip~ ..    I like TinyCore the best... I will try creating a new bootable thumb drive, clear anything on local storage and give it a try again.

Thats good decision to try...and yes , dafinately TCL is quick, simple and best distro around but sometime needs some adjustment and little bit tinkering as per users need.... May be Rich, jaunito, curaga will be able to help you, if that perticular needed driver for your hardware is available / included in the repo or not. But do post the results for other new users , if successful.

... By the way, in my earlier days , out of curiousity , I used to copy-paste some required driver / files from other distros to corresponding TCL folders creating new symlinks and changes  etc and with try/error method was  successful in solving some of my modem / mouse /keyboard problems - only caveat was linux kernel should be same !.
... And after success , I used to create new .tcz for regular use ! Well , I wont suggest it you, as it requires lot of tinkering .
Best Luck ! :)

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 12:15:32 PM »
So something peculiar is now happening.  In booting from a Coreplus CD or Flash Drive, regardless of which Coreplus menu item I choose I get the same experience, it only boots to a command prompt,never the expected DE.  I thought maybe entering something at the command line like startx would start the gui but it doesnt.

Offline Pats

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 02:43:40 PM »
...it only boots to a command prompt,never the expected DE.
...While installing , If you see a TCL boot screen,  press  return to boot TCL . If TCL boots and you only see a command prompt , there two posible reasons are :
1) You may still have a *cde* rather than a *tce* directory on the pendrive. Check and rename if necessary.

2) You have a slow USB device. You need to use the command line parameter 'waitusb=5'.  Choose this option from installation menu , if available or append it to boot prompt !

Pl read core book or wiki , for more information on waitsub and UUID command and parameters. 
Hope your installation CD / DVD is not corrupted !

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 11:26:38 PM »
You could try reading the first line of ~/.xsession and entering that as a command at the console prompt - this should give an error message that might help find your problem.

Offline NewUser

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 11:27:06 PM »
When you boot from a CorePlus CD or USB,, select the entry with waitusb=5. Whichever desktop you choose.

Offline DHeadshot

• Fediverse profile
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 01:44:24 PM »
I don't know if this is linked but I had a dead mouse pointer when I tried to use TinyCore a few years back on VirtualPC 2003 on my old laptop.  It's not an issue for me now as I now use VirtualBox on my new PC for all my virtualisation needs, but certainly TinyCore didn't like the VirtualPC 2003 emulated PS/2 mouse.  I don't know if there's a connection, but I presume it's possible.  That was CorePlus 6.1 back then, if that helps.