WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Dead Cursor  (Read 8710 times)

Offline bushyiii

Dead Cursor
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
This is strange situation.  I have two lenovo lightweight laptops: Ideapad 110S-11IBR and a Ideapad 120s-14IAP.
Coreplus has been installed on a 8gig flash drive. When I boot using the flash drive on the 110S everything works perfectly, I get the exact same desktop  and applications on 120S with one exception, the cursor is displayed but inoperative.  I can use the keyboard to exercise the applications, they all work, it's just a dead cursor.

I am posting this using the 120S   using a different Linux OS.  They track pad controls the mouse perferctly.

Offline bushyiii

Re: Dead Cursor
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:27 PM »
I attached a USb wireless mouse and my cursor came to life so the problem lies with my track pad not working under core plus.  might there be something something unique to the 120S track pad from the 110S track pad?  Is there some additional app that might be necessary to enable the track pad?

Offline Pats

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 04:46:08 PM »
1) In Windoz , try Device Trouble shooting option

2) In TCL : Try unclutter command and its other options  :

Code: [Select]
unclutter -idle 0

3) If it does not solve , try :
xinput list
If you find output something like DualPoint Stick id=12 slave pointer (2) etc , then try disabling mouse for the time being :
xinput disable 12

But generally the cursor and mouse problem , resolve itself on its own , if pointer and keyboard section in your xorg.conf are configured correctly or a latest device driver is installed in linux.

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
Neither command did anything, maybe I just don't understand how to execute them or maybe they need to be used within a certain directory.  In any event here is what happened when I tried them:

tc@box:~$ unclutter -idle 0
sh: unclutter: not found
tc@box:~$ xinput list
sh: xinput: not found
tc@box:~$

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 08:27:24 PM »
Hi bushyiii
unclutter  can be found in  unclutter.tcz.
xinput  can be found in  Xorg-7.7-bin.tcz

Offline Pats

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:00:07 PM »
For those who do not know :
A simple but a crude way to check for a required .tcz for external linux command in TCL , open a concerned repository page in a browser . For example :
 http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index_nojs.html

Use find on page feature , type the name of external command. Ex: unclutter , and search.
The row with unclutter will be highlighted and in the right side the required .tcz will be found.
There are other ways, to know abt such things. For Ex: In Debian and its derivatives :
To know  dependencies of a particular package.To list what a package use :

apt-cache depends vim
There are other commands to achieve the same task depending on linux distro , pl check which one works for you :
pactree vim
tree vim

To retrieve one or more public keys from a public keyserver , use :
  whatis ssh-import-id
There are other internal comands as well like : which etc. But that is a diff topic. :)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 01:30:19 AM »
might there be something something unique to the 120S track pad from the 110S track pad?  Is there some additional app that might be necessary to enable the track pad?
Yes, some trackpads do not send mouse events. For those you need to install Xorg and the synaptics driver.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 07:13:07 PM »
@ curaga
The only synaptic driver in the APPS utility is "xf86-input-synaptics.tcz"  and it fails to download. 
at http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index_nojs.html is this file synaptics.tcz.dep
Extracting it gets the message that Xorg-7.4.tcz: not found

tc@box:/mnt/sda1/tce/optional$ sh synaptics.tcz.dep
synaptics.tcz.dep: line 1: Xorg-7.4.tcz: not found

xorg 7.7 is currently on the system is 7.4 necessary for the synaptic driver to be extracted?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »
Hi bushyiii
The only synaptic driver in the APPS utility is "xf86-input-synaptics.tcz"  and it fails to download. 
at http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index_nojs.html is this file synaptics.tcz.dep ...
Why are you downloading from the TC3 repository? You can't just blindly mix and match extensions from different versions
of Tinycore. Aren't you running TC9? There is a  xf86-input-synaptics.tcz  extension available in the TC9 repository.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 07:36:43 PM »
Hi bushyiii
What do you get for:
version

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 07:47:23 PM »
Version is TC9

As I stated in my last posted  "xf86-input-synaptics.tcz"  fails to download.
I tried again, just this minute to download and chose ON Boot the status is failed
here's what's in the status bar: .xf86-input-synaptics.tcz Failed.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 07:53:43 PM »
Hi bushyiii
What does this return:
tce-load -w -i xf86-input-synaptics

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 08:17:53 PM »
It says its already installed.
So I rebooted to see if the track pad would now work since xorg and synaptic are installed.  Unfortunately it has had no effect, the track pad is still dead, it won't move the cursor.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:33:51 PM by bushyiii »

Offline Pats

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 08:30:02 PM »
Hi bushyiii ,
EDIT :
Try these links for some discusions which may be related to your problem, as it can be a hardware problem also :

1) *https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?84484-Portege-Z30-A-191-the-cursor-starts-moving-by-itself*
2) *http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=20665.0*

The only synaptic driver ...  ~snip- ...fails to download. 
at http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/index_nojs.html is this file synaptics.tcz.dep ...

I think due to confusion it may be happening. The abv 3.x repo link was given as an example for searching a required .tcz for unclutter command reference in previous post.
 For dnloading synaptics.tcz as curaga has suggested, you should use *http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86/tcz/* repo in Apps utility since you are using latest TC9.x version. So change the repo to 9.x, if you have changed it to 3.x repo. Hope this clarifies !
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 08:49:10 PM by Pats »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »
bushyiii,    download failed is a fairly common problem

The best fix I know of is to delete any previous copies of the extension, also it's md5.txt file, its dep file and all extensions listed in the dep file and any dependencies listed in their dep file, including all md5.txt files.   You'll often find it was a problem of a remnant md5.txt file from a previous failed install.

delete these files
xf86-input-synaptics.tcz
xf86-input-synaptics.tcz.dep
xf86-input-synaptics.tcz.md5.txt
libevdev.tcz
libevdev.tcz.md5.txt

try to download xf86-input-synaptics.tcz again
Using APPS or tce-load -wi xf86-input-synaptics.tcz, or tce-ab > search