WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox_getLatest doesn't work on fresh install of Coreplus  (Read 3461 times)

Offline bushyiii

Firefox_getLatest doesn't work on fresh install of Coreplus
« on: August 09, 2018, 11:44:44 AM »
Installed CorePlus on a 8 gig USB stick.  As part of the install I enabled wifi and it works well.  After first boot I did a download+load of firefox_getlastedt.tcz. Status was OK.  Subsequently I did a download+load of firefox-ESR.  Status was OK.  Firefox icon is on the Wbar and works but it is only version 52. 
My expectation in using firefox_getlastedt.tcz is that it would be the latest version.  Am I doing something wrong?

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Firefox_getLatest doesn't work on fresh install of Coreplus
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 01:48:05 PM »
Hello bushyiii

firefox_getLatest needs to be run in order to download and install the latest firefox

Use APPS to load firefox_getLatest (if it's not loaded already)
Then launch the script from your desktop menus  Or you can launch from a command line firefox_getLatest.sh (with or without options)

make sure you add the newly created firefox extension to the OnBoot.lst (manually or you can use APPS to accomplish this)

Enjoy 

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:11:06 PM »
Thanks, I ran firefox_getlatest.sh as suggested and it appears to have worked.  I did it in the terminal, couldn't find it through the app program.  Now the terminal message states I need to reboot.  I have not done that as I don't understand your last sentence.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:49:49 PM »
Thanks, I ran firefox_getlatest.sh as suggested and it appears to have worked.  I did it in the terminal, couldn't find it through the app program.  Now the terminal message states I need to reboot.  I have not done that as I don't understand your last sentence.
The OnBoot.lst is the list of applications which load at boot, fount in the .../tce directory.  You'll need to add firefox.tcz to that list for the Firefox extension to load at next boot up and be available for use.

All this and much more can be accomplished through the APPS program

To learn more, please read  the Core Book which you can download for free from http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Also from here http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:install_apps

and more here http://tinycorelinux.net/screenshots.html

enjoy
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 02:52:58 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion...Being noob in Linux it's a lot to digest but a worthy goal.
If I may ask one more question.  When I minimize Firefox and then try to maximize it I end up with a new instance rather than what I had minimized.  Is this a typical and expected experience?

Offline coreplayer2

Firefox_getLatest doesn't work on fresh install of Coreplus
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:50:05 PM »
iirc. F11 or F12 maximizes firefox   

Either way it depends on your windows manager.   
Ctrl + m usually maximizes windows with the default windows manager

But i’m not sure because I use hackedbox window manager

BTW. We were all noobs at some point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:48:24 PM »
Hi bushyiii
... When I minimize Firefox and then try to maximize it I end up with a new instance rather than what I had minimized.  Is this a typical and expected experience?

After you minimize, are you trying to maximize by clicking the  Firefox  icon at the bottom of the screen? Because that's used
to launch instances of  Firefox.  After minimizing, click on the desktop or the titlebar of any window then click on the  Firefox
entry in the menu that pops up.

Offline bushyiii

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
@Rich...That's exactly what I was doing.  Can't wait to give it a try and work it correctly...Thank you