WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Tiny Core logo disappeared from desktop and cannot set wallpaper image  (Read 7016 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Tiny Core logo disappeared from desktop and cannot set wallpaper image
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 09:30:21 AM »
Hi aus9
4)  So if you like no persistence....as you booting with norestore....IMHO your Original Post where you thought you made gtk3 onboot and other stuff....they should not have persisted....and you will be forced to download and load them each and every boot.
The  norestore  boot code does not affect the  TCE  directory or the loading of extensions. The  base  boot code prevents
loading of extensions.

aus9

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »
@ Rich

thanks for correcting me. feel free to correct more of my stray thoughts.
IMHO if he is not using mydata ...then no files should be over writing .xsession or .setbackground.  That is what I was trying to establish if I type with my foot in mouth ;)

Did you have time to look at his hex output?

IMHO it will still be nice to know what level of persistence he has
ie no home....no opt....no tce.....as OP says he has no persistence. Does he mean all of these?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »
Hi aus9
I was hoping the hex dump might shed some light as to why  cat  and  nano  produced different results for  .setbackground,  but
I saw nothing suspicious.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 06:13:04 PM »
Hi hobophil
Would you post the result of:
Code: [Select]
showbootcodes

Offline Pats

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Though not much important , but ...
Simple question : Suppose with a backup,  mydata.tcz is created in default directory. A copy of this mydata.tcz is present in /tce/optional or any other directory in the same partition. The original mydata.tcz is deleted. Would the system restore all the backed-up file or not !
 Just a posiblity. ... It had happened with me when I was a fresher.   :)

Offline hobophil

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:23 AM »
Everyone, thanks for the support.

Rich, I have since reformatted the hard drive with different boot codes. However I did save the file /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf which was:

DEFAULT core
LABEL core
KERNEL /tce/boot/vmlinuz
INITRD /tce/boot/core.gz
APPEND quiet  waitusb=5 norestore waitusb=5:UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0" tce=UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0"

Yes, I know waitusb=5 is duplicated. I don't know why.

At this point, I have decided just not to update the extensions that I think are causing the problem so I can move on and start configuring the computer for my use. Like, I have emojis working now...

Once I am done making my own remaster, I might go back and try to recreate this issue. Until then I probably won't be able to respond to any posts (at least not quickly - I will probably create new thread with concise info later), but again thanks for the help so far. To me the biggest hint was the error caused during boot, "ln: /usr/share/X11/locale  No such file or directory." Also, my Core Plus 9.0 image iso is from March, if that matters? Another weird thing that was happening originally, was that there were duplicate instances of flwm_topside on the onboot list. I'm not sure what caused that.

A summary is: I had Core Plus 9.0 installed to a hard drive, with a persistent home. I did not mess with any files manually such as .filetool.lst and .xfiletool.lst. I have boiled the problem down to, I install Core Plus to hard drive using the GUI from a CD, and when I update the apps through GUI, (list posted previously), my background logo disappears and I also cannot set the background to an image. A workaround (for me) was to re-install Tiny Core from CD to hard drive, without reformatting the hard drive. This brought the logo back and the ability to set an image as a background. However I started completely over and reformatted the hard drive again to be safe.

4)  So if you like no persistence....as you booting with norestore....IMHO your Original Post where you thought you made gtk3 onboot and other stuff....they should not have persisted....and you will be forced to download and load them each and every boot.

And TC has invented Ondemand....which might be what you are looking for?

but as time goes on....why not have a tce dir as a persistent dir to save those downloads?

is that clearer?

Thanks aus9. I first had a persistent home when the issue started. I then removed persistence (through the norestore boot code, I did not change any /opt files), but the issue was replicated (which makes me think it is a problem/incompatibility with the extensions). With experimentation, I am better understanding the benefits of Ondemand and I am using it more. I also agree with your explanation of norestore, and I am using it for boot up / shutdown speed and cleanliness.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:56:54 AM by hobophil »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 12:55:03 AM »
Everyone, thanks for the support.

Rich, I have since reformatted the hard drive with different boot codes. However I did backup the file /mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf which was:

DEFAULT core
LABEL core
KERNEL /tce/boot/vmlinuz
INITRD /tce/boot/core.gz
APPEND quiet  waitusb=5 norestore waitusb=5:UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0" tce=UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0"

Yes, I know waitusb=5 is duplicated. I don't know why.

The Append commands would be less confusing if you changed it to:

DEFAULT core
LABEL core
KERNEL /tce/boot/vmlinuz
INITRD /tce/boot/core.gz
APPEND quiet waitusb=5:UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0" tce=UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0"

Offline hobophil

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2018, 12:57:40 AM »

The Append commands would be less confusing if you changed it to:

DEFAULT core
LABEL core
KERNEL /tce/boot/vmlinuz
INITRD /tce/boot/core.gz
APPEND quiet waitusb=5:UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0" tce=UUID="387ce92a-7c48-4129-a30e-eeb6de6257c0"

Thanks, what about norestore though? I've taken out the duplicate waitusb=5 in my current iteration of Tiny Core.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 01:08:21 AM »
Thanks, what about norestore though? I've taken out the duplicate waitusb=5 in my current iteration of Tiny Core.

I believe the original intent of norestore bootcode was for diagnostic purposes.

If you don't wish to save a backup on shutdown, I believe the method is to edit /home/tc/.profile
export BACKUP=0
If you don't wish to restore a backup, then simply don't create one.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 01:12:36 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline hobophil

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 01:30:52 AM »

I believe the original intent of norestore bootcode was for diagnostic purposes.

If you don't wish to save a backup on shutdown, I believe the method is to edit /home/tc/.profile
export BACKUP=0
If you don't wish to restore a backup, then simply don't create one.

Ok, thanks for the tip.

I'm also thinking if I did base norestore and then updated the apps, it probably wouldn't break my system. I might try that later after remastering.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 01:43:26 AM »
I'm also thinking if I did base norestore and then updated the apps, it probably wouldn't break my system. I might try that later after remastering.
iirc base norestore was also intended for diagnostics.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 05:17:19 PM »
... I first had a persistent home when the issue started. I then removed persistence (through the norestore boot code, I did not change any /opt files), ...
When you set up your persistent  home,  did you remember to remove the  home  line from  /opt/.filetool.lst  file?

If it hasn't been mentioned yet, may I suggest you take an hour to read:
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html

Offline hobophil

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 05:46:22 PM »
... I first had a persistent home when the issue started. I then removed persistence (through the norestore boot code, I did not change any /opt files), ...
When you set up your persistent  home,  did you remember to remove the  home  line from  /opt/.filetool.lst  file?

No, I did not.

Offline hobophil

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2018, 06:39:18 PM »
Sorry to necro this post, but it was solved.

The problem was, I was updating the extensions while using X (gui) desktop. I updated through the command line and now everything is great. Noob error.