WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Trying to boot from iso dCorePlus-bionic  (Read 4235 times)

Offline adrian97

Trying to boot from iso dCorePlus-bionic
« on: December 09, 2018, 06:59:51 AM »
Hi, I am new with TinyCore Linux and dCore. I might have missed something from the documentation.

If you like to read my intentions and what I have tried so far, let me know if there is a good place to post it. To keep the question short, just a bit of context, I followed this guide: http://www.brianlinkletter.com/how-to-install-dcore-linux-in-a-virtual-machine/

I do this:
Set up the VM (in Parallels on a MacBook Air) with 1GB Hard drive, 512 MB RAM, configure the iso image as CD and boot from CD.

This works fine for dCore-bionic.iso with no codes at the boot prompt (just hit Enter).

When I use dCorePlus-bionic.iso in the same way without any bootcodes, I get stuck at "Booting the kernel".
When I give "dc text" as bootcodes, the boot process shows this error message:

Booting the kernel
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
Kernel Offset: disabled
Rebooting in 60 seconds..

I also tried dCorePlus-jessie.iso with the same results.
I figure that I might need to enter all the bootcodes that are pre-configured in the CorePlus-current.iso, but I have no idea how I would place xibase.lst kind of files so that it loads all the extensions and might be able to boot then?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Trying to boot from iso dCorePlus-bionic
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:41:53 AM »
Hi Adrian97.  512MB of RAM is not enough for dCorePlus, it takes over 1GB of RAM as some of the dCorePlus images are over 300MB themselves and they get decompressed to RAM.  As the purpose of dCorePlus is for newcomers to gain wireless and graphical environment access on first boot so they can then set up a more lean install, lean resourse consumption or small size is not the dCorePlus goal. 

There is only one extension which creates the difference between dCore and dCorePlus, and it is in /tmp/builtin named dCorePlus-bionic.sce, or for dCorePlus-jessie it is dCorePlus-jessie.sce.  It is unpacked to RAM then loaded on boot automatically when booting dCorePlus.

Offline adrian97

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 08:58:45 AM »

Thank you Jason W. This was exactly the right hint, and I am now able to boot with more RAM.
512MB of RAM is not enough for dCorePlus,

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
I have added this info to the wiki under "What are the recommended system requirements?"

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/dcore:faq  -- 

dCorePlus images require at least 1GB of RAM to boot and run as they have all available hardware support and the X window system designed for new users to be able to boot and access a wireless network and install dCore in a graphical environment.