WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCorePlus no ethernet but wifi works?  (Read 4128 times)

Offline PDP-8

dCorePlus no ethernet but wifi works?
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:42:29 AM »
Yeah, it's me - *that* guy again. :)

Seems like the wired ethernet is not working, just the local loopback on dCorePlus-Stretch and dCorePlus-Stretch64.  This is the actual port, not just a gui thing.

Both picked up my wireless cards on different machines, and had no issues doing sce-import / loads of my favorite toys so I'm assuming dhcp is up and running with those.

But the ethernet thing has me looking around to see if I need to jump-start something on my end first...

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: dCorePlus no ethernet but wifi works?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:05:15 AM »
Hi PDP-8.  Try booting with a waitusb= boot code, waitusb=8 is a good one to start with.  Thanks.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »
Thanks Jason!  You'd think by now I would remember to put a wait-state in there.

So that fixed my usb <> ethernet dongle, when the REAL problem is that no Linux distro / toolkit recognizes my onboard ethernet card in my NUC.   I was conflicting two similar problems at the same time.  So at least one is fixed!  Thanks for the pointer.

Speaking of wait states, I found an interesting article about TC that introduces wait states when dealing with very fast storage, like SSD's and ethernet (not usb) not waking up fast enough seing stuff like this during boot:

Code: [Select]
ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: No such Device
route: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

https://iotbytes.wordpress.com/assign-persistent-static-ip-address-to-microcore-tiny-linux/

It may not apply to my dhclient situation, but I'll explore it a bit later..
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
I sometimes have to use a waitusb= bootcode when testing dCore ISOs in Virtualbox so my on board e1000e ethernet is found, I have posted about it somewhere here.  And I swear I remember having to use a waitusb= boot code at some point for my new SATA hard drive and that is why I think I have waitusb=5 in my grub boot command line for all my dCore port entries, but I can't confirm as I have tested now without waitusb and it is found.   In any case, waitusb is a good thing to use when we know the drivers are there but the hardware is not found on boot.