WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: display issue with rox filer when viewing from tightvnc  (Read 1539 times)

Offline unbirthday

display issue with rox filer when viewing from tightvnc
« on: June 23, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
Not sure if this is a bug - I'm exploring TCL as a beginner. I'm experimenting with tightvnc, and everything is working fine, except that through the vncviewer on Windows, I get graphical issues with rox filer.

Shown here:

The rox filer partially working is run as tc, whilst the crashed one I tried as root (window immediately disappeared and gave that error message).
I'm using TCL 9.0, installed onto the HDD of a really old laptop (~2001 Compaq Evo Mobile Athlon XP, which works well in TCL btw).
I run tightvnc like this:

Code: [Select]
Xvnc :1 -rfbauth $HOME/.vnc/passwd &
DISPLAY=:1.0 flwm_topside & # <--- is there a better way than this, so that wbar also loads, as if I'm tc logging in

wbar works nicely through vnc, and even has a nice near-native framerate.

Offline unbirthday

Re: display issue with rox filer when viewing from tightvnc
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 12:48:11 PM »
I've tried with realvnc, and it has the same issues. I noticed when I force the Xvnc -depth 32, it gives a different output, with black icons at the top and a garbled image. As rox filter uses gtk (I think) - I suspect that it is the issue.

Offline unbirthday

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »
Alright, I gave x11vnc a go, and that works much better. It does a framegrab, so it doesnt need a separate x11 session, and can be used like Synergy. On this old Athlon XP, it uses ~15% cpu usage -- still very fast for such a cpu intensive operation.

aus9

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:11:35 PM »
@ Moderators
Maybe this post belongs in TCE forum rather than TCB Q&A?

hi unbirthday
Is this 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x86_64) ?

and have you tried loading libXrandr or similar package to see if error is resolved.
I submitted the 64 bit rox-filer but have no experience at using vnc or similar packages
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:13:20 PM by aus9 »