WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Quick-Save-Live - A Quick Safety and Rescue System  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Nathan_SR

• Quick-Save-Live
Quick-Save-Live - A Quick Safety and Rescue System
« on: June 18, 2018, 11:58:36 AM »
Title:
Quick-Save-Live - A Quick Safety and Rescue System

Description:
This Linux Live CD provides a Quick Way to Save Files from the Hard Drives to an External Drive for Safety and Rescue Purposes. This GUI System gets started in less than 28 seconds and is able to auto mount all drives including external ones, but excluding encrypted drives, for user access.

On Startup, this system provides a dual pane file manager for copying files and folders between the panels, by way of a simple drag and drop facility.

Link:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/quick-save-live/

Credits:
Robert Shingledecker
Curaga / JasonW / Juanito / Robert Schumann / Brian Smith / Bela Markus
Ezremaster Creators / Maintainers
Numerous Forum Members

Special Findings:

1. Choosing the “Extract TCZ to in to initrd” method while ez-remastering and loading a complete onboot.lst file in it ( which includes CD's onboot.lst + my choice of onboot.lst entries ) should avoid searching for TCZ in the Loading Extensions Stage during boot. Noticed that it spends about 7 to 8 seconds searching for TCZ in /tmp/builtin, tce, cde folders etc, when I left nothing there. As a quick fix, I had to comment the searching part in the tc-config file to save precious boot time. But, an elegant way to do this, would be to introduce a NOSEARCH boot code, for such cases of remastering for performance.

2. To add UEFI support to the ezremaster.iso generated, I mounted the iso file, using the Archive Mounter application of an Ubuntu System, copied the contents to an image folder and issued a mkisofs command, to include an alternate boot loader, as follows:

mkisofs -iso-level 4 -D -R -V Quick-Save-Live-v4.0 -o /home/nathan/isofiles/Quick-Save-Live-v4.0.iso -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -eltorito-alt-boot -b boot/isolinux/efi.img -no-emul-boot /home/nathan/isofiles/image/

I created a VM on VirtualBox with this new iso generated, Enabled EFI in Settings -> System and Started the VM. It boots with all the console messages fine, but locks up at the Graphical Load Stage. I tried passing xvesa related boot codes, but still no success. The same efi boot loader works on XenialPUP 7.5 Linux fine. So, it cannot be the issue. Maybe, someone with experience on these lines can indicate, where the problem is and its solution. Thanks.

By the way, Thank you once again for your contribution of Tiny Core Linux to the World !

P.S. To avoid any liabilities to tiny core, I have renamed it to quick-save-live in this live cd, for all boot messages.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 12:04:52 PM by Nathan_SR »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Quick-Save-Live - A Quick Safety and Rescue System
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
An EFI boot starts up with a framebuffer; vesa is often not compatible with a running framebuffer mode. In such cases you need to use Xfbdev or Xorg.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.