WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HDD Not showing?  (Read 3325 times)

Offline GrimmSpector

HDD Not showing?
« on: June 02, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
Hello, I'm trying to setup tiny linux to run as a Guest on Hyper-V, and I want to install it so it has persistence via a virtual HDD. I want it to boot from that drive so it's always booting the same way for me, rather than always from the image and having to set things up again.

The issue I'm having is that when I go into /dev/disk/by-id all it shows is the virtual CD drive, no other disks/devices show up. No clue why. Any help would be super, thanks!

Offline andyj

Re: HDD Not showing?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
Try the IDE disk controller instead of SCSI..

Offline GrimmSpector

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 04:19:17 PM »
I was considering trying SCSI, but since it's all in MBR mode I figure booting off SCSI would be an issue, so I left it as IDE. Hence my confusion! HDD is on IDE 0 and ISO is mounted as IDE 1. Boot is set to HDD then CD, and since the HDD is empty it goes right to the CD boot.

Offline andyj

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 05:24:26 PM »
If you do 'fdisk -l' do you see it? I have TC installed in a VMware VM and there is no /dev/disk/by-id only by-path, but the disk is there and working fine.

Offline GrimmSpector

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 08:15:49 PM »
If you do 'fdisk -l' do you see it? I have TC installed in a VMware VM and there is no /dev/disk/by-id only by-path, but the disk is there and working fine.

Nope, fdisk -l returns nothing, just puts me back to the prompt without listing any devices.

Edit: For clarity, it doesn't show anything for either an IDE mounted drive or a SCSI mounted drive. It does appear to list an extra CD drive if I "attach" one.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:23:45 PM by GrimmSpector »