WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: mount tool bug?  (Read 8100 times)

Offline dcyran

mount tool bug?
« on: May 19, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »
Hi
this seems like a bug to me.

I'm using CorePlus via a burned CD, on a Dell Latitue E6410 -with 2 usb sticks plugged in after the boot.

When I mouse over the partitions (dell has sda1 sda2 sda3 sda5; usb#1 sdb1; usb#2 sdc1 sdc2) I can see the LABEL name.

the dell correctly has respectfully: DellUtility, RECOVERY, OS, and READER; usb#1 has CorePlus for sdb1; and usb#2 has DellUtility for sdc1 and RECOVERY for sdc2

BUT... gparted correctly  lists sdc1 as blank "", and sdc2 as "7gext2"  (I just dd'd a new iso onto usb#1 -sdb1 and gparted displays the new LABEL as "Debian 9.4.0 n"

the Labels for the sdc1 and sdc2 are just repeats of sda1 and sda2.

What do guys think is up?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: mount tool bug?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:08:02 AM »
I believe they come from the blkid output. Try running blkid.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline dcyran

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 09:37:56 PM »
thanks -but will do at a later time

I tried to reproduce this weird LABEL thing -but could not  (same machine and cd, same usb but altered)     

But I then noticed sr0 was listed twice    -all the labels were correct.     

I had just re-installed tc9 to the usb and then booted from this usb and installed gparted. 

Strange;  I'll take more time and try to record my actions and observations better.  Yesterday I took a short cut that caused issues - I had copied over some files from tc9 to an older tc boot usb disk with expectations that this would be a good tc9 boot usd disk.

Offline dcyran

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »
Hi -back again with some weirdness;
mount tool shows double entries (from top to bottom: sda1, sda1, sda2, sda2, sda3, sda3, sda5,sda5, sdb1, sdb1, sr0, sr0 -only the sr0 (both) are green/mounted, others red/not mounted)

I booted tc9.0 off a cd ( burnt a CorePlus 9.0 32 bit iso on it; usually works fine/as expected) on a dell laptop e6410 with 4GB; after the usual boot i inserted a flash drive, and then clicked on the mount tool icon. CorePlus exists only on the cd/no other partition has tc on it

when I 'fdisk -l' it  displays /dev/sda 149GB: sda1 partition id: de, sda2 id 7, sda3 id 7, [extended] sda4 id f - Win95 ext'd (LBA), sda5 id 7 [extended]    /dev/sdb 29GB: sdb1 id c

'blkid' lists (first 6 in order:) ..sda2, ..sda5, ..sda3, ..sda1, ..sr0, ..sdb1 - all listed just once
  ...and I just rebooted by using the icon, leaving the flash drive in,.... and it works as expected with no double entries after clicking the mount icon

Any thoughts on why?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »
Hi dcyran
That is strange. When the  Mount Tool  is showing double entries, does clicking the  Refresh  button fix it?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 10:09:46 AM »
Hi dcyran
That is strange. When the  Mount Tool  is showing double entries, does clicking the  Refresh  button fix it?
Yes the entries are reset correctly on refresh

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 10:55:05 AM »
Hi coreplayer2
Are you seeing this behavior too?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 12:43:45 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
Are you seeing this behavior too?
Yes but I see it only after multiple selections of the mount tool applet, therefore I consider it more user error than a bug..

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 01:27:50 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
I can't seem to reproduce it.

Offline dcyran

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 03:39:58 PM »
Rich

I believe that the refresh button did not correct the double entries at that time.

It usual works as expected except for a few times - in the past I thought it was from my mix of various TC distro's, as I've tried to manually update old flash drives with older TC.  This last time was a clean cd boot with no other distro around.

Sorry I only use TC infrequent as I hardly have the time.  I use it mostly as a utility -but I love to try to learn a new bit of the OS with every use.   I've been reading the forums since tc 2.11

Offline dcyran

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 05:16:25 PM »
ah ha   think I found a pattern

tried restarting CorePlus  several times with and without usb -but then tried this: I double clicked on mount tool rather fast and I got it again -double entries listed on mount tool.   Then refresh'd -only to get a new mount tool on top of the old mount tool (oringinal still with double entries -new mount tool the correct way).

will try again in few minutes

of all the things to work on, this has to be rather low priority.   thanks

Offline dcyran

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 05:19:09 PM »
I can even create triple entries

some even have only one entry for sda1 and then the expected double entries for the rest

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
Hi dcyran
Icons in the  wbar  at the bottom of the screen are meant to be single clicked. I just tried double clicking the  Mount Tool  and
got one with some duplicate entries and one that was missing most entries.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »
Hi dcyran
OK, I think I have some idea of what's happening. If I launch 2 instances of the  Mount Tool  and wait for the first one to
appear before launching the second, both come up normally. Here's where it gets interesting. If I click  Refresh  on
one instance, it updates both instances incorrectly. I think there may be a race condition involving 2 instances of the
 rebuildfstab  script running.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2018, 11:29:25 AM »
YAY!!  I thought I was going crazy there...   double clicking on the icon when frustrated by the delay does it for me.   
Which says “operator error” to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk