WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] Install tiny core extension offline  (Read 16424 times)

Offline badhon_raj

Re: Install tiny core extension offline
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
If you want to write to it, yes.
thank you. It is working now. :)
I couldn't find this info on wiki. So you can not blame me for not reading for this one I guess. :p

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:53 PM »
I couldn't find this info on wiki.
Not to expect - it's about NTFS access under Linux in general ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 10:23:15 PM »
Difference being that with 3.8.4 GUI components are within initrd, while they were outfactored to extensions since.
As opposed to what you claim in OP, when you meet a prompt "tc@box :~$" _ your system has fully booted, just no X server is running.
I've on idea what is that and how to solve that. For now I'm using an older version and so far liking it.
Hopefully I'll come up with many new problems to annoy you all. :p

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »
For starters, relying on unsupported 3rd party installers could lead to unpredictable results.
One possible reason for not getting a GUI after boot could be slow storage medium like USB, for which you can use boot code "waitusb= "
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 05:34:15 AM »
For starters, relying on unsupported 3rd party installers could lead to unpredictable results.
One possible reason for not getting a GUI after boot could be slow storage medium like USB, for which you can use boot code "waitusb= "
waitusb=5 not working. Same result.

Anyway can any one please confirm for me if chntpw.tcz extension working for you or not? It installs but doesn't open for me in tinycore 4.00
it has one dependency. libssl-0.9.8.tcz
although it says it requires openssl for it in chntpw.tcz.info file. This is confusing me.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1004.0
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:37:19 AM by badhon_raj »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »
it has one dependency. libssl-0.9.8.tcz
although it says it requires openssl for it in chntpw.tcz.info file.

from the libssl-0.9.8 info file:
Current:   2011/10/30 This is now just the shared lib to support existing apps.  Please use the current openssl-1.x and it's -dev extension for building against or to use as openssl.

Basically the chntpw extension was originally built against openssl-0.9.8, but this was obsoleted by openssl-1.0.0 - the libssl-0.9.8 extension allows it work.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2013, 10:16:52 AM »
waitusb=5 not working. Same result.
you can't exclude anything with a value of 5, try 30.

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
Basically the chntpw extension was originally built against openssl-0.9.8, but this was obsoleted by openssl-1.0.0 - the libssl-0.9.8 extension allows it work.
sorry my bad. chntpw working fine from terminal. I expected a GUI first. Then realised it is a command line only tool.

you can't exclude anything with a value of 5, try 30.
waitusb=60. Same result. :(

anyway, I've got a new problem now.
I couldn't get sound out my pc.
Installed alsa, alsamixergui, gnome-mplayer.
I've followed the guide about setting_up_sound.
But still I can't hear any sound. :(

the unlock sign in alsamixergui means unmute, isn't it?
Have a look on my alsamixergui.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2013, 12:10:45 PM »
Hi badhon_raj
the unlock sign in alsamixergui means unmute, isn't it?
Yes, and it shows the Master volume is muted.
Please don't try to use this thread as a catch all for problems. If you are having audio problems, start a new thread
under TCE Q&A Forum.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »
waitusb=60. Same result. :(
Then it's possible your unsupported installer deals better with older versions than with newer ones.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 05:14:49 PM by tinypoodle »

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
unsupported installer
I don't understand. I'm not using anything. If I put any extension downloaded from
http://tinycorelinux.net/4.x/x86/tcz/

(i.e. ntfs-3g.tcz or fluff.tcz) into tce/optional, it won't boot.
However, if I put it into /cde/optional and add it manually to /cde/onboot.lst then it loads without any problem.
This problem is occuring on tinycore version 4.2 or later only. All previous version works good.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2013, 09:14:33 PM »
Hi badhon_raj
That's because the 3.x version did not have a cde directory. The cde directory is intended for read only media
like CDs. Rename the cde directory to tce and remove the cde boot code from your boot loader. Had you used
an installer designed for Tinycore such as http://sourceforge.net/projects/core2usb (as listed in the FAQ) instead
of some third party installer you would not have had this problem.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
unsupported installer
I don't understand. I'm not using anything.
Was RE:
Quote from: badhon_raj
I've downloaded latest one.
4.x > x86 > release > TinyCore-current.iso
used Universal usb installer to put it into a flash drive.

What Rich said.

Offline badhon_raj

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 01:38:37 AM »
sorry I thought you meant extension installer.
I skipped the faq/wiki about installing in usb cause I assumed Universal usb installer works perfectly for all distro of linux.

Update: ok problem solved. Used core2usb as suggested. Although Just renaming the cde directory to tce also works as good.

Topic marked as solved. I couldn't get the audio working yet. I'll open another thread about that later.

Thanks to everyone. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:43:14 AM by badhon_raj »

Offline grandma

• Never forget Grandma Loves You & made that candy4U
    • Back when a 10MB HD was $500 bucks
Re: [Solved] Install tiny core extension offline
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 12:12:27 AM »
1. The thread relates to early stage newbs getting a USB Flash Drive working; in this case with little or no internet for extensions.

2. This response is a quickie class to help them get through it, without posting the same question; HOW DOES A NEWB BOOT TC QUICKLY, EVEN IF a,b,c LIMITATIONS APPLY?"

Hopefully this reduces questions about that.

1. Format the USB Flash Drive Fat 32 - later you can play with various EXT file systems.
If you don't have this from the start, you will have issues going back and forth with your other "old box" to adjust things.

When formatting, make sure you make it bootable. You may need a utility to handle this; Linux has fdisk - easy/simple - but you may be operating in Windows.

Note: folders are almost always lowercase unless otherwise shown, though CAPS are used to highlight key words below.

2. Make a TCE folder and in that, make an OPTIONAL folder, or E:\tce\optional, and a boot folder or E:\tce\boot

This structure isn't quite standard, but if you have multiple versions of TCE it can be handy later and keeps everything in one folder - under TCE.

3. Mount the ISO. If you need help with that, find a tutorial on mounting an ISO.

4. Copy the files in the ISO BOOT folder into the E:\tce\boot folder..

5. Also, copy onboot.lst and other files from the ISO CDE folder to the E:\tce folder.

6. Copy the files in the ISO CDE/OPTIONAL folder to the E:\tce\optional folder

7. Grub4Dos is more reliable than syslinux - get it and run it to make your USB bootable, then copy the file grldr to E:grldr

8. Create a file E:\menu.lst with these lines.

(don't add the === lines)
========================
timeout=5
default=0
title BOOT NEWER TINY CORE LINUX
find --set-root /tce/boot/vmlinuz
kernel /tce/boot/vmlinuz quiet waitusb=10 norestore xvesa=1024x768x32
initrd /tce/boot/tinycore.gz

title BOOT OLDER TINY CORE LINUX
find --set-root /tce/boot/bzImage
kernel /tce/boot/bzImage quiet waitusb=10 norestore xvesa=1024x768x32
initrd /tce/boot/tinycore.gz
===========================

9. Make sure your .gz files in the boot folders have these names
OR change the names in the menu.lst file to match what's in the boot folder.
Simple.

10. Don't forget when you boot from USB you have to press F2 or DEL to set up your BIOS to boot the USB first. Otherwise your system will keep trying to go to whatever operating system is on your hard drive.

11. TEST IT: If you've got a FAT32 USB and your boot record is good and your menu.lst and grldr are good, and your folders have the right files in them, you will get a basic TC boot.

If it stalls while booting grub4dos, there's probably a file missing or misnamed in the E:\tce\boot folder or you misspelled E:\tce\optional or you forgot the E:\tce\onboot.lst file. TC is so simple, its almost certainly one of these 3 problems.

...or when you formatted it to make it bootable, or you used grub4dos it failed - which can also happen sometimes, depending on your system.

~ Luv Grandma
"When children of all nations
play in the sandbox together
all morning-all day-all week, and
one fine sunny day; all year long ...
... then war will become an ancient memory
and Grandma can knit that sweater
you'll hold near to your heart
until long after you're my age.