WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Poll

What you recommend following the below scenario in order to run TC properlly without a clinch?

Install core on its internal flashdrive of 64mb
2 (100%)
Keep running it from USB drive
0 (0%)
Other solution
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: June 09, 2018, 05:08:18 PM

Author Topic: TC Installation - HP ThinClient - Internal Flash drive or USB drive  (Read 2196 times)

Offline knight_TT

Dears,

As you may note i'm quite a newbie, but actually i've been using TC since one year ago.

The issue i'm facing is this:

I currently run the TC from a USB drive connected to the HP thin client and accessing it via SSH.

Unluckly although i modified the boot process it happens that after power loss or reboot the system sometimes boot its internal OS (windows CE) and avoids entering into TC.

The client only has power and networcable and USB drive connected..nothing else.

Now to overcome this i've been thinking on installing TC inside its internal flashdrive...overwriting WinCE insider  but i wannted more experienced people herein to comment.

Please advice and thanks to all of you TC is awesome for my personal use.

Offline coreplayer2

I'm confident the system will run faster overall if installed to an Internal SSD/Flash drive with a Linux friendly file system.

Use the tce-install extension to install to the internal drive
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:17:49 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
There are detailed instructions for many models on the parkytowers site.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline parky_dw

You don't mention which thin client model - some let you tuck the pen drive away in an internal 'secure compartment' rather than just having it sticking out the front or the back.

You have two options:

1. Install Tiny Core on the internal flash assuming it is large enough for your requirements.  You can use 'dd' to take an image of the DOM beforehand if you'll ever want to go back to restore the original firmware.

2. Continue to use your USB drive but open up the thin client and remove the internal flash module.

Option (2) of course will stop it booting the native operating system but may or may not solve your problem of why it didn't boot from the USB drive in the first place. (You may just end up with a 'no operating system' error message instead of Windows CE).

Offline knight_TT

Thanks to all the replies sent. I will keep looking at the post for any new comment. In the meantime i will start digging out the installation steps to have TC running from the internal Flash. Thx once again.

Offline BerythaBeasley

As you may note i'm quite a newbie, but actually i've been using TC since one year ago.The issue i'm facing is this:I currently run the TC from a USB drive connected to the HP thin client and accessing it via SSH.Unluckly although i modified the boot process it happens that after power loss or reboot the system sometimes boot its internal OS (windows CE) and avoids entering into TC.The client only has power and networcable and USB drive connected..nothing else.
Now to overcome this i've been thinking on installing TC inside its internal flashdrive...overwriting WinCE insider  but i wannted more experienced people herein to comment.Please advice and thanks to all of you TC is awesome for my personal use.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
If you boot from the usb stick, you should probably be able to use the tc-install extension to install to the internal flash drive.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
BerythaBeasley is a spambot. Banning.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.