WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Howto: Vivaldi, Opera and Chrome in TC 8.x  (Read 26799 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

Re: Howto: Vivaldi, Opera and Chrome in TC 8.x
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 04:02:02 AM »
Thanks to everybody in the thread above.

Even although it was 6 months ago.......i still value the advice today...... that was given then.

Will need to start using TCL again for heavy web browsing because summer months here make
a Laptop guzzle power due to temps/fans etc

. It's sSomething that does not happen with TCL.

V

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
Had a lot of problems with FLASH not working in vivaldi builds for (32) and TCL 6.x  listed in this thread.
(may try again)

...........but even so Vivaldi 1.1 is old............

i wish TCL would offer a decent web browser at bleeding edge build. .............. FF is a horrid browser.

a get latest Chromium .............would be great thing for TCL.

thx

V

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 09:21:53 AM »

Offline NewUser

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »
This may be a religious question, but what, in your opinion is wrong with FF?

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2019, 10:12:20 PM »
Definitely a religious topic   :P 

IMO FF is one of two best browsers, the other being Chromium, but it depends on one's needs..

BTW, Vivaldi is based on Chromium but stripped of many features..
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:15:40 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline NewUser

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2019, 10:27:36 PM »
Yeah, I knew about Vivaldi, and the new Opera too. Chrome/FF, Mac/Windows, Canon/Nikon, Chevy/Ford. So many religions!

Offline neonix

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 08:12:46 AM »
Had a lot of problems with FLASH not working in vivaldi builds for (32) and TCL 6.x  listed in this thread.
Here is Vivaldi with peperflash. You can copy peperflash to your Vivaldi 1.11.
You can unpack this file with p7zip.
https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Skami_Browser_Repo/vivaldi-1.10.867.48-i386.pet

The instructions are here:
http://www.tinycorelinux.net/9.x/x86_64/tcz/src/chromium-browser/compile_chromium-browser
..why not have a go yourself?
Do you know how much hard drive space and RAM is recommended to compile Chromium? TC users are usually people with old hardware. The biggest data storage in my home is 32 GB miniSD card.

This may be a religious question, but what, in your opinion is wrong with FF?
FF has many sins. Youtube works better on Webkit/Blink. It don't work with ALSA anymore, you have to remember to install libavcodec.tcz for H.246, there's no swiftshader (software WebGL support), new versions have bugs. Seamonkey is much more stable than FF for me. It's no good idea that Big G become a new monopolist like M$ but FF is not user friendly anymore. There's still FireFox ESR 52 in TC10 repo and FF has new Quantum engine since ESR 60. But our idea is to bring more TC users by offering different web browsers.

https://semenov-sherin.vivaldi.net/looking-for-the-perfect-browser/

Offline coreplayer2

Howto: Vivaldi, Opera and Chrome in TC 8.x
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 04:17:31 PM »

Latest Firefox playing UltraHD 4K YouTube video smoothly with audio and a Netflix movie standing by on the secondary Tab.

What’s not to like about that!

I do like the clean appearance of Vivaldi but it’s still only based on Chromium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:20:39 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline neonix

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »
Here is script I use to install Opera 62 in TC 10.x (x86_64).
Code: [Select]
cd /home/tc
tce-load -iw wget
mkdir opera
cd opera
wget https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/62.0.3331.66/linux/opera-stable_62.0.3331.66_amd64.deb
ar x *.deb
cd /
sudo tar fxJ /home/tc/opera/data.tar.xz
cd /home/tc/opera
rm -f control.tar.gz
rm -f data.tar.xz
rm -f debian-binary
rm -f opera-stable_62.0.3331.66_amd64.deb
tce-load -iw curl.tcz
tce-load -iw nss.tcz
tce-load -iw dbus.tcz
tce-load -iw libXcomposite.tcz
tce-load -iw libasound.tcz
tce-load -iw libXcursor.tcz
tce-load -iw libXi.tcz
tce-load -iw libXtst.tcz
tce-load -iw libXrandr.tcz
tce-load -iw libXss.tcz
tce-load -iw atk.tcz
tce-load -iw at-spi2-atk.tcz
tce-load -iw libcups2.tcz
tce-load -iw gtk3.tcz
tce-load -iw gsettings-desktop-schemas.tcz
tce-load -iw flex.tcz
wget http://ftp.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu/pool/universe/c/chromium-browser/chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_69.0.3497.100-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
ar x *.deb
cd /
sudo tar fxJ /home/tc/opera/data.tar.xz
cd /home/tc/opera
rm -f control.tar.xz
rm -f data.tar.xz
rm -f debian-binary
rm -f chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra_69.0.3497.100-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
sudo ln -s /lib /lib64
sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start
sudo ln -s /usr/local/etc/fonts/ /etc/
opera

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2019, 11:33:06 PM »
OT: Don't fall for 4K if you can't even see it.  Might save some bandwidth costs.

I usually don't fall for most online videos being mostly click-bait and whatnot, but this one does an entertaining, yet techy enough explanation that measures up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxNBiAV4UnM

Pay attention to the need to *intentionally* degrade the signal with motion blur to avoid seasickness or just everything in soap-opera mode.  And, unless one is high on something (cofee included), much of what it touts won't be noticed by the brain.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline coreplayer2

Howto: Vivaldi, Opera and Chrome in TC 8.x
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 09:32:53 AM »
Hi.  IMO that’s nothing more than a conspiracy theory.   For the last year at least I’ve lived in a 4K HDR10 environment and frankly it’s never been better.  Yet I cant wait to see what the next innovation will bring us!

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 01:14:21 PM »
That's cool.  I understand.

It isn't conspiracy as much as marketing.  Like 4g wireless when it really isn't.  Like 4K when it is really 2K.  Like having to actually *degrade* the signal with motion blur.  More pixels / resolution than your eyes have.  And frame rates that you can only detect if amped up on something - maybe.

The big issue now is having no real 4K source anyway - other than stuff you won't really watch.  For now, you get to watch everything upconverted from 1080i, or lower.

No no - we need to push 4K so that when 5G comes around, users can get billed for 4K on their 5" phone screens!  Yes!

I'm messing with you right?  If you can see it, good on ya' mate! :)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 07:57:48 AM »
 8)
But IMO it's a lie, at the very least it's misleading...

See, he put a black pixel dot way out of our area of focus then tried to claimed we didn't see it because we can't...   that's such manipulation of the truth.    Put the dot on his face and we might have noticed, but more likely our brain would have discarded that information as a blemish.    So I call "Fake News"

I can see 4K images clearly even without corrective vision, 4K to 1080P is night and day difference.    With glasses it's a whole new experience.

:P

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2019, 01:21:33 PM »
Um, where I work (which is not important), we have about 50 of the 4K sets running 4K source signals as a testing bed.

Aside from the algo purposely putting in motion-blur to the signal, many are put off by everything looking like a soap-opera, and also the motion sickness kind of thing despite the algo.  Depends on how active the source is.  Basically too much of a good thing.

Re the fake news - I wouldn't go that far.  The black dot that gets missed is explained at how a normal viewing experience *should* be 10 feet away, and also explains how *maybe* you would see it if it is already in your focus of vision, and more or less expecting it.  Outside that cone (which he provides tests for), it is easily missed.

The other point made is about the quantum leap in data / bandwidth.  At 4k, the *only* way to see it is by viewing live - there is no consumer-level storage media large enough inside a box to make it practical for local storage and playback.  Ah, forced streaming.

I see it as going too far with a good thing, but the industry will try to shoe-horn it into adoption, for things that most won't detect.  But that's my opinion.

I'll stop since this isn't the tv forum. :)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 01:23:31 PM by PDP-8 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »
Hola    My only regret is a year ago I didn’t buy a Sony 65” gaming monitor with 4K HDR10  instead of the 55” of same spec’s has been sharpest video monitor I ever bought.

Better than the 75” LG 4K monitor which was the worst I ever bought, so put it in the guest room..

1080p is minimum for phones and notebooks. But 4K HDR10 is the standard for gaming. 

The YouTube video as entertaining as it was was full of old outdated useless information. Heck even Apple TV’s screensaver is in 4K HDR     Even Netflix has dedicated 4K streaming content channel. Admittedly it’s at the minimum specs to to call it 4K.   Even Microsoft is getting into the 4K streaming game.  Speaking of, there’s nothing like gaming in 4K HDR10   Which is becoming the minimum requirement these days.

Look at it this way, most information regarding 4K published 6 months ago is most likely depreciated at this point, yet here we are considering the validity of a video published 2 years ago!! 

Every time I go to my optician I find that technology has advanced so much I can’t even buy a replacement pair of glasses of equal old tech. 

Yes my tired 63 year retired old eyes need help, but I still see most detail available in 4K
[emoji12]