WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: $450 monthly net access???  (Read 590 times)

Offline PDP-8

$450 monthly net access???
« on: April 24, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »
Went down memory lane to 1984 when I was using 8088 and Televideo Z80 CP/M boxes.  (pip anyone - ever get it backwards?)

Not knowing or having any access to Usenet, or Fidonet for that matter, I researched what it cost me back then to use Compuserve at 300 baud.

10-cents a minute but only during night hours.  Sounds kind of ok right?  At 300 baud, it was *easy* to spend at least an hour each day on it.

Let's see - .10 * 60 = $6.00 daily.  Today: adjust for 2018 rates, and that would be like spending $14.60 daily today.   For just one hour of access.  Or about $430.00 monthly adjusted for 2018. :)

We live in good times now my friends...

cat -v Considered Harmful  -- Rob Pike

Offline itsjann

• WikiUser
Re: $450 monthly net access???
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 10:34:24 PM »
Things change so rapidly.

Offline thane

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 10:49:16 AM »
IIRC back in 1980 I paid $1500 for an Apple II+ computer that had 48K (yes, K) of memory. You loaded programs from a cassette tape. Then I paid $500 for a floppy disk drive that I think stored about 150K of data. After that I got married, had a kid, and didn't have enough money to buy a another computer until 1995. From pioneer to left behind.

Offline Pats

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 04:28:41 AM »
In old days I had to depend on landline phone for net access with a  distinct username / password. Speed may be some 2 or 3 kbps. It took many hours at night  to dnload small utilities for Windoz / linux .
Unix was coming on 18 or  36 5.25inch floppies . My first HDD was 20MBs which was sufficient for Win3.1 and below versions with C , COBOL, Pascal, and some other Utilities like  PrintShop etc.
After some years When after many attempts I was successful in setting up Unix on my PC with continuously blinking light , I smiled loudly. 
Buletin Boards were famous for exchanging files , MP3 etc. ... I think my firsr linux was muLinux and then Slacks , Debian, Puppy. Knoppix on CD was my best experience that time. But when I came in contact with Tinycorelinux v2 , then the linux world changed with simplicity and speed .

Roberts , jaunito , jason , Markus , Rich and many others ( sorry if I have not mentioned many others names ) , enriched my linux knowledge with many unknown details which I was not knowing at all - perticularly easy automation of many jobs with readymade bash scripts with detailed comments .
 Curaga helped me to setup my TCL security with iptables etc among other things.

Hats off to all these guys and many others ! Thanks !!