WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Can't start Xorg after installing open-vm-tools-desktop: "Illegal instruction"  (Read 18227 times)

Offline denbkh

Did you change any of the NVIDIA driver settings from their defaults?
No, default settings for everything.
What NVIDIA chip do you have?
Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (ASUS GTX760 DirectCU II OC)
GPU: GK104-225

Offline andyj

The listing in the first post of this thread looks virtually identical to what is shown here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,21737.msg136290.html#msg136290

Yes, it does, but just about everything else was different. The part I really don't get is that the VM that works on my laptop, I zipped it up and sent it to @denbkh, it didn't work on his computer when as far as we can tell almost everything is the same.

@denbkh,

Do you have any other graphics adapters like Intel (I do, so it isn't necessarily a problem) or other maybe unusual hardware peripherals and drivers?

Offline denbkh

Do you have any other graphics adapters like Intel (I do, so it isn't necessarily a problem) or other maybe unusual hardware peripherals and drivers?
Hmm, no, I have only one GPU with official drivers.
I can try to run strace on LUbuntu with their version of open-vm-tools-desktop, maybe it can help. But for this I need a full command because LUbuntu does not have "startx" in $PATH
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:30:50 AM by denbkh »

Offline denbkh

And I also can run strace on tinycore without open-vm-tools-desktop if you need that.

Offline andyj

I don't know if it's an actual illegal instruction (compiled with wrong target, very unlikely) or trying to execute data (much more likely, and a bug). Try changing the first line of ~/.xsession to:

Code: [Select]
LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose /usr/local/bin/Xorg -nolisten tcp -logverbose 7 -verbose 7 2>~/Xorg.0.err &

Maybe we'll get something useful.

Offline denbkh

I have attached the log files.

Offline andyj

The logs aren't very revealing, other than something has changed because the hardware rendering is being detected and used now. I don't suppose upgrading VM Player to 14.1 is an option? Is installing TC to a USB drive and booting from that an option? What model computer is this that has a Xeon processor running Windows 7?

Offline denbkh

The logs aren't very revealing, other than something has changed because the hardware rendering is being detected and used now
If you check the logs from message #3 in this topic you can see that 3d acceleration was detected there. I have compared the logs and they look almost identical. So that no surprises that when I enable 3d in VM it will be detected, right?
[   318.384] (--) vmware(0): Render acceleration is enabled.
[   318.384] (==) vmware(0): Rendercheck mode is disabled.
[   318.384] (--) vmware(0): Direct rendering (3D) is enabled.
I don't suppose upgrading VM Player to 14.1 is an option?
Tried that. Unfortunately, VMware does not support my CPU in 14.x
Is installing TC to a USB drive and booting from that an option?

Do you mean without VM and without open-vm-tools-desktop?
What model computer is this that has a Xeon processor running Windows 7?
This is a custom built PC. I attached server CPU to the desktop. Google for Xeon pin mod for LGA775 if you are interesting. Don't think that it could be a source of this bug because open-vm-tools-desktop from LUbuntu works fine.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:51:02 PM by denbkh »

Offline andyj

I doubt open-vm-tools-desktop is the problem. To test that use this for onboot.lst and reboot the VM:

graphics-KERNEL.tcz
xf86-input-vmmouse.tcz
xf86-video-vmware.tcz
Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz
gtkmm.tcz
rxvt.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
wbar.tcz

It's interesting that your CPU isn't compatible with VM Player 14. I'm wondering if X and/or the GL libraries we're compiled with an option your particular CPU doesn't support that Ubuntu didn't use. Have you tried any of the compatibility check boxes under the Virtual Processors option?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:26:50 PM by andyj »

Offline denbkh

I tried with your onboot.lst and got the same "Illegal instruction" error.
Is it possible to find which instruction is "illegal"? And which component contains it?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:56:04 PM by denbkh »

Offline denbkh

Have you tried any of the compatibility check boxes under the Virtual Processors option?
If you are about "Hardware > Processor > Virtualization engine" than I tried with "Disable acceleration for binary translation" - same error. With other two checkboxes VM does not boot.

Online Rich

• Administrator
Hi denbkh
Is it possible to find which instruction is "illegal"? And which component contains it?
Based on the address reported here:
[   141.840] (EE) Illegal instruction at address 0xb4fc54a3I would say this is the most likely suspect:
[   141.840] (EE) 3: /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so (0xb4c8b000+0x1ee0ba) [0xb4e790ba]
[   141.840] (EE) 4: /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so (0xb4c8b000+0x1ee419) [0xb4e79419]
[   141.840] (EE) 5: /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so (0xb4c8b000+0x1ee9ce) [0xb4e799ce]
[   141.840] (EE) 6: /usr/local/lib/dri/swrast_dri.so (0xb4c8b000+0x1eeaf4) [0xb4e79af4]
and is provided by  Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz.

Offline andyj

That eliminates open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop as the problem. We're back to some instruction in TC 9 your CPU doesn't like. Did you try TC 9 from a USB drive? Have you tried any earlier versions of TC like 8 or earlier in a VM?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Xorg-7.7 is limited to pentium-m and up