dCore Import Debian Packages to Mountable SCE extensions > dCore X86

No virtual terminals

(1/2) > >>

PDP-8:
Jason - you're probably getting sick of me by now. :)

Noticed in the dCorePlus-Stretch and Stretch64 versions, there doesn't seem to be at least one virtual terminal.

Not a problem, I just use the "multivt" boot parameter, and that provides it - well more than one now of course..

Didn't know if that was by design or not...

Jason W:
No, PDP-8, I am not getting sick of you.  :-)  Reporting things that don't work or suggestions for improvement are part of what get things fixed or improved. 

Is this the same behavior as seen with CorePlus?

The multivt boot code is an option, and it appears CorePlus does not have that option in place by default, and I like to stay with Core/CorePlus as much as possible.

Thanks.

PDP-8:
Oops - yes this behavior is in both the 32 and 64 bit CorePlus versions for stretch.

I looked at /etc/inittab and don't see anything wrong, that is only TTY1 as a login shell is uncommented, which I assume is for the X session.  TTY 2-6 are commented out.

I mean not a big deal, I could always actually install it, and comment out the second tty if I only wanted just one virtual terminal...

No biggie.  BTW, for our younger lurkers, we can thank Microsoft Xenix for the ability to ctrl-alt-f1/f2/f3 virtual terminals etc, but I digress....

Jason W:
CorePlus as in standard Tinycore CorePlus that is.

PDP-8:
Hi Jason!  Here is a comparison of the difference in behavior between TinyCorePlus 9.0 vs dCorePlus-Stretch64:

Note:  the /etc/inittab appears to be identical to each other, but the behavior seems far different from each other...

TinyCorePlus - default boot, NO additional parameters
CTRL-ALT-F1  tc&box:~$
CTRL-ALT-F2  X session

dCorePlus-Stretch64 - default boot, NO additional parameters
CTRL-ALT-F1  Xsession
CTRL-ALT-F2  black screen, no text, just blinking cursor no response to keyboard

====
TinyCorePlus 9.0 WITH multivt:
CTRL-ALT-F1  tc@box:~$
CTRL-ALT-F2  box login:
CTRL-ALT-F3  box login:
CTRL-ALT-F4/F5/F6  Please press enter to activate...
CTRL-ALT-F7  X session

dCorePlus-Stretch64 WITH multivt:
CTRL-ALT-F1  X session
CTRL-ALT-F2  box login:
CTRL-ALT-F3  box login:
CTRL-ALT-F4/F5+ Please press enter to activate this console

It just had me curious why the default boot of dCorePlus-Stretch64 seems to have no virtual terminals, yet the etc/inittab seems the same between both TC and dCore..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version