WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dCorePlus64-stretch and vesafb video?  (Read 5042 times)

Offline PDP-8

dCorePlus64-stretch and vesafb video?
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:18:56 AM »
Just wondering why this boot parameter is not a default for xfbdev 64-bit versions when I boot the standard iso:

Code: [Select]
video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3
Without it, dragging terminals around and whatnot are sluggish and kind of jumpy on the computers I try it on unless I provide that parameter manually at the boot prompt.

To be fair, I see this same kind of issue in Corepure64 default iso's as well, but wonder what the technical reason for not using this parameter is.

Surely, if I do an actual install I can edit in that parameter to the boot stanza.  Just kind of wondering why it isn't used in the default iso's to begin with.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: dCorePlus64-stretch and vesafb video?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 05:30:06 AM »
"video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3" is set in the (u)efi boot of the TinyCorePure64 iso

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
Hi PDP-8,

Does this boot parameter help you with running dCorePlus-stretch64?  The dCorePlus images use Xorg which was preferred by users early on in dCore, so I was curious.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 03:14:31 AM »
That parameter helps me greatly with either Xorg or xfbdev, but I might be a special case..

Even though I use high resolution monitors, I very rarely run at anything higher than 1024x768 - and frequently use 800x600 (or anything similarly small with my raspberry Pi's).

At these small resolutions, the video delay / stuttering is very noticeable - especially so with terminals full of text.  I don't do multimedia on my *core installs, but mostly shell stuff, so I don't need full resolution anyway.

Also part of the reason for the small resolutions is that I really dig the whole flwm/fltk thing.  I have to run a small resolution to make them comfortably large enough for me to use.  I like all the utilities..

You might be able to see what I'm doing - boot with vga=ask, and run with say 800x600 on your monitor.  Pull up aterm, xterm, fill it with text like dmesg, top etc.

Now drag it around, or do a resize with CTRL-ALT-M.  Now perform the same test with the video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3 option.  At large native resolutions you may not notice anything.  But at my fltk/flwm-lovin' resolutions, its a bit distracting.

None of this is a show-stopper for me.  Just stuff I noticed. :)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 03:17:55 AM by PDP-8 »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:42:24 AM »
Ok, if it helps with Xorg I will put it in the dCorePlus ISOs.  Thanks for the observation.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 11:25:40 PM »
Wow thanks Jason!

But don't do it just on my account - whatever is best for the community is what matters, so don't let me stifle progress if that's the case...

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 07:18:02 AM »
Since dCorePlus does not have the graphics related kernel modules and uses smaller resolution as a result, the boot parameter mades sense.