WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SLTS and Civil Infrastructure Platform  (Read 1534 times)

Offline PDP-8

SLTS and Civil Infrastructure Platform
« on: April 02, 2018, 01:32:33 PM »
I think this would be particularly interesting to any *core user, that is the mesh of the Super Long Term Support kernels and the Civil Infrastructure Project based on Linux, especially since Busybox is a core component.

You can search for a good overview about SLTS / CIP on LWN, or see it here:
https://lwn.net/Articles/749530/

The attraction for me is that any *core project already espouses many of these ideals for what - more than a decade now?   No bit-rot, simplicity, project malleability, and the ability to have a long-term relationship with a *toolkit* and not just a distro fad of the year.

For many, Tinycore and it's relatives get glossed over in slick reviews for those that don't look under the surface as being useful only for older hardware, and educational embedded systems.  The simplified security, although not unbeatable, means that it is more likely to be used, *and used properly*, once again due to it's simplicity.

I guess this is also a thanks to the *core developers, since what you provide is more than just bits and bytes to run some hobbiest hardware.  For me, it is a bit more important than that and the reason I run it on purpose on relatively new hardware...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:34:29 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth