WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Thank You for Tiny Core  (Read 1568 times)

Offline jmtw000

Thank You for Tiny Core
« on: March 19, 2018, 08:20:37 AM »
Hello,

I just wanted to post a note of thanks to all of the people who brought us Tiny Core Linux. I've been a Linux user since the mid 90s and over the years I have used many different distributions on many different devices. Recently I was working on a project requiring a Linux distro with a small footprint, a few hundred MBs at the most. I figured, no problem. I remember running Linux on a Sharp Zaurus in the early-mid 2000s that only had like 128MB of storage, and it had a full blown X GUI which I didn't need for this project. I knew the major distros had become quite bloated over the years but I figured surely any number of them offered a very base install that would fit my needs. Boy was I wrong! It was a struggle to even find any which would fit on 1GB of storage space! I was freaking out thinking I was going to have to build a custom system to fit my needs which would have added a lot of time to my project. Then, I found Tiny Core and was able to fit it (GUI and all) and everything else I needed for my project into a 100MB image! So again, thank you all for all of your hard work. I didn't see a donation link anywhere on the site (not that I could offer much), but I will definitely be buying your book.

Offline hobophil

Re: Thank You for Tiny Core
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:34:06 PM »
I would also like to say thank you to the Tiny Core team. Even as a total noob to Linux, it was extremely easy to install. On the contrast, I bricked a few CDs, DVD, and USBs just trying to make a Debian CD1 iso (although I got their netinst iso to work). TC is smooth like butter. After reading the book, I am convinced this is the best OS on the planet. Love the minimalist/zen philosophy. Don’t ever get boated!