General TC > General TC Talk

TC and acpi_osi strangeness in /var/log/messages

(1/1)

PDP-8:
One for you kernel hackers ...

I've been investigating the use of booting TC with a few different kernel boot parameters (to avoid manufacturer botched bios patch bugs) such as

acpi_osi=
and
acpi_osi=Linux

and seeing if they are accepted or rejected when also using the syslog parameter and taking a peek at /var/log/messages after boot.

At first I used syslog by itself with no other parameters on a stock TC, and found this when I grepped Linux from /var/log/messages:

<snip>

--- Code: --- Mar 15 08:25:01 box user.notice.kernel: ACPI: [Firmware Bug]: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query ignored
--- End code ---
<snip>

Does this mean that the acpi_osi=Linux parameter is *already* hardcoded into the TC kernel and is getting ignored/munged somehow, or is this normal for a stock install?

Note that when I DO pass the kernel parameter manually at boot time, acpi_osi=Linux by myself

I get this out of /var/log/messages:

--- Code: ---Mar 15 08:16:31 box user.info.kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(Linux)
Mar 15 08:16:31 box user.notice.kernel: ACPI: [Firmware Bug]: BIOS _OSI(Linux) query honored via cmdline
--- End code ---

Just wondering if I caught something, or if I'm just observing normal behaviour in the stock TC boot.

curaga:
The TC kernel does not differ from upstream on those parameters.

PDP-8:
Ok, thanks for making me dig :)

Right - not a TC thing, but a general kernel thing.  That default kernel response to the bios is actually the smartest response for various reasons, as is in conversation:

Kernel: "Don't probe me bro, you just keep thinking you are talking to a windows whatever box, and we'll take it from there..thanks."

TC makes me learn something every day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version