WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Latest busybox version for dCore?  (Read 5674 times)

Offline PDP-8

Latest busybox version for dCore?
« on: February 08, 2018, 01:53:15 AM »
I just burned dCore-Stretch and noticed that the busybox version is 1.20.2.

Do all the dCore versions use 1.20.2 (as of now)?

I like busybox a LOT, and wonder if compiling my own version of the latest BB release and running it as a user would (soft links to all the commands in it's own directory and path etc etc) would confuse dCore somehow?

That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Latest busybox version for dCore?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 04:14:36 AM »
Hi.  Yes, the current dCores use busybox 1.20.2.  I am working on dCore-bionic, the next LTS Ubuntu release due in April.  And it will have Busybox 1.27.2. 

I can build 1.27.2 on dCore-stretch and dCore-stretch64 and it should fit right in as I see no issues with on dCore-bionic.  I will do that in the coming days and see how it goes and if all is well I can upgrade Busybox to 1.27.2.  If it will compile on dCore-wheezy, then I can upgrade all dCores to Busybox 1.27.2.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 10:23:05 PM »
dCore-trusty, dCore-jessie, dCore-xenial, dCore-stretch, and dCore-artful have been updated in the release candidates area with Busybox 1.27.2.  The new Busybox for these x86 dCore ports was built on dCore-trusty.  dCore-wheezy has too old of GCC to build the newer Busybox based on the errors I saw so it remains with the old version.   

All is working as expected in my testing.   

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 12:44:48 AM »
Wow!  I'll have to fire up an RC and check it out!

Heh, my initial query was more of an observation and looked what happens...  thanks Jason..

My biggest problem with the 'core family is now keeping track of which one I'm running!  :)

Awesome work guys..

Offline Greg Erskine

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 01:20:30 AM »
Word of warning! We have been using BusyBox v1.27.2 (2017-10-31 19:09:48 UTC) multi-call binary on piCorePlayer for a few months now. If you have been writing shell scripts, as we do, a couple of the commands have changed causing scripts to fail. From memory, options for wget changed and fdisk output format changed.

Probably won't affect anybody else but might just save some head scratching.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:45 PM »
One change in particular I had to make adjustments here for is 'wget -s' is not longer an option, have to use 'wget --spider'.  Which is the same when using GNU wget.  So it is good that the spider option is the same with Busybox and GNU wget.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:43:53 PM by Jason W »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:08:03 AM »
Downloaded the latest dCorePlus64-stretch, and noticed that unless this is by design, I need to put the busybox /bb directory in front of my path manually to force the use of BB utils, rather than the usual gnu ones.

Heh, my standard quickie check for this is to see if cal highlights the day  -- if so, my path for bb isn't correct. :)