WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firefox & audio  (Read 7344 times)

Offline jls

firefox & audio
« on: February 07, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »
Hi
In my firefox.sce.lst I have
gstreamer1.0-libav
libcanberra0

in order to listen and view youtube
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: firefox & audio
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 02:58:13 PM »
First, thank you for your time and tesing.

I am running dCore-artful and have only the following imported SCEs installed and running icewm as the WM:  xorg-all, firerfox, icewm, and kernel-all-4.8.17-tinycore.

I have video and audio with youtube in firefox.  I don't have libcanberra0 or any gstreamer* package installed.  I am not using extra repos, fwiw. 

Offline jls

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »
Hi
Jason you are right, for youtube the 2 packages are not needed.
But gstreamer1.0-libav is needed for example for the following site:
http://www.centraltv.fr/cote-divoire-television/rti-tv
ciao
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:49:41 PM »
Ok, I noticed earlier that adding gstreamer1.0-libav adds some megabytes to a firefox.sce, but as there is nothing small or light about firefox it is better to be a little more size and have full functionality.  Especially when it is not obvious to the user which dependency is missing when an online video does not work. I will add gstreamer1.0-libav to the deps of firefox today.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 08:12:51 PM »
gstreamer1.0-libav allows video playback at the site you mentioned and the html5 video test site mentioned below:

https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/tests/video.html

But audio is not supported on either with an import of firefox with gstreamer1.0-libav, icewm, and xorg-all.  Video and audio does work with those sites with my desktop installation without flash player.   So still some deps missing to support html5 video and audio playback.  I will find them and add to firefox's deps as html5 video/audio support is a must.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »
Hi Jason W
Jls said he also needed  libcanberra0.

Offline jls

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 05:10:44 AM »
Hi
I don't have libcamberra0, actually according to the following command which I don't know if it's right:
Code: [Select]
jls@pc1:~$ grep camberra /tmp/.debinstalled
jls@pc1:~$
Starting the pc and opening firefox on the ivory coast tv I have no audio, but doing a speaker-test from the terminal and then reopening firefox I have audio.

ciao
dCore user

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 07:01:27 AM »
I noticed html5 video without audio also when gstreamer1.0-libav was installed.  I tried to zero in on which dep is needed as I get html5 video/audio in firefox on my large desktop install.  I will try to find the missing dep later today.  libcamberra0 is not present in my desktop setup also. 

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 07:07:57 PM »
Firefox gives a pop up saying pulseaudio needs to be running when I go to the below site to test html5 audio:

https://hpr.dogphilosophy.net/test/

I am testing dCore-bionic64, but as mentioned earlier my full desktop works with html5 audio, and also pulseaudio is running.  My basic setup of the same system with only xorg-all, firefox, icewm, and gstreamer packages and pulseaudio does not work.  And pulseaudio will not run on that basic setup.  I see pulseaudio not running on my dCore-stretch install either and therefore no html5 sound. 

It seems to me there is a missing dep that is preventing pulseaudio from running as the only difference between my dCore-bionic64 installs is the amount of packages installed.  I will keep looking and hopefully find an answer.  Until pulseaudio can run, all the otherwise needed deps to support html5 audio can be installed to no avail of course.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 07:13:56 PM »
The deps are in place for firefox to use html5 audio and video, gstreamer1.0-libav is a dep of firefox now which is the only dep needed that was included before.  What is needed is pulseaudio running during an X session when it is present which is a dep of firefox, and I am working on making pulseaudio run by default when it is installed.