WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Python Urwid debugger (pudb) on TinyCore?  (Read 1473 times)

Offline kmhill

Python Urwid debugger (pudb) on TinyCore?
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »
Hello folks;

I've experimented with the Python Urwid debugger (pudb), on Ubuntu briefly on two occasions, and I must say that I'm impressed. It's has a text interface with a look similar to classic Borland turbo C and such. The install in Ubuntu is easy, just execute a Python script. Things move along nicely.

Before I consider digging in deep, does anyone have experience with installing pudb on TinyCore? So far, the setup program is throwing an import error that there is no module named setuptools... I have both python.tcz and python-dev.tcz installed.

Any and all comments will be appreciated,
Krista

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Python Urwid debugger (pudb) on TinyCore?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 06:54:23 PM »
Hi kmhill
Maybe it wants  setuptools.tcz?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:11 PM »
You could try the python3.6 extension, which looks like it has setuptools built in.

Offline kmhill

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 04:45:27 PM »
Thanks Rich and Juanito, just made a huge step forward... I have plans to use the python-RPi.GPIO.tcz package,  which appears to want generic python.tcz, which is currently version 2.7.13. I have the following packages installed:

python.tcz
    python-dev.tcz
    setuptools.tcz
    compiletc.tcz

I unzipped the pudb distribution package, ran the installer, and tried two example programs. I'm not fully sure what to make of pudb on the RasPi, quite yet. Of course, at this point the install is temporary, till the system powers down.
Cheers;
Krista

Offline kmhill

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
Here are some initial observations regarding pudb.

On the up-size, pudb starts up faster than Idle. Also, pudb can be started either at program start or by means of some python code inserted at a problem spot. It hasn't been hard to find tutorials and documentation.

While pudb is character based, I haven't had luck with the serial console yet, I'm using ssh. I've noticed that when you do a debug step, pudb has a characteristic of switching display buffers, which is similar to a screen flash. In running pudb on Ubuntu at the console the screen flash is so fast that you don't notice it. But in running through SSH with the RasPi-0W the screen flash is noticable. In looking about I've noticed that having the screen flash is a fairly common complaint.

Krista