WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Cannot start application from Ondemand entry  (Read 8854 times)

Offline sm8ps

Re: Cannot start application from Ondemand entry
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
Sorry for abandoning this issue! I could not continue at the time but had to run after a stack of urgencies and left this thread on my "to do later" list with the following prepared answer that I had intended to elaborate at that certain "later" moment. Here it is:
====
Many thanks for your efforts! I understand the logic behind separating extensions from packages. This sounds like a valid enhancement to the functionality of sce-loading. Out-sourcing the program to its proper extension does make sense as well.

AFAICT, the issue about the dead links is unrelated to the above. As said, the problem is not consistent across installations; it does not show on a fresh installation. Yet I have consistently run into this very problem somewhere along the way on four separate fresh installations (clean home/, opt/ and everything). So something must be going wrong somewhere. If it is my specific way of handling dCore then I want to find out about it so that others do not fall into the same trap. If it is some bug somewhere in dCore it could be corrected.

The only thing I copied over to the fresh installations was the list files themselves. I have just checked them for trailing spaces etc. and indeed found one in the original wireless.list.sce.lst upon which owncloud-client.list originally depended. Though, the issue also appears when importing stand-alone. Furthermore, I am running a system with the new releases candidate (dCore-xenial:2017.10.07.21.07) where I do not use that wireless list anymore and the problem persists. So trailing spaces in list files can be ruled out as a cause.
====
Meanwhile (i.e. now "later") I have abandoned Network Manager in favor of Wicd which worked very well and I somehow managed to circumvent the strange troubles described. Owncloud worked consistently well and I could use dCore productively which was very, very helpful while being on the road.

At some point I found out that my trusty netbook was slowly fading and was producing very strange hardware errors so I am not sure if the issues might not have been due to these errors (maybe related to time-out or something). It will be a while before I can get my hands on a fresh installation but I am guaranteed to get back because I put dCore on every machine I can.

Cheers!
Stefan

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 03:18:40 PM »
I would like to ask that periods (aka dot, point, full stop) are not to be used in package names of extensions, whether being made from a list file or not.  Periods are used as a delimiter that is used by the dCore routines, should not part of a package name.  Dashes are welcome as part of a package name, as many as one would like.  Trailing spaces should not matter in a list file, as a space is added anyway between that value and the next, and the delimiter between package names is a space in the dependency gathering routine. 

If you would re-create your setup with using no periods in package names, and you still see issue, I will be happy to test your setup further with my various machines.  As a period is used as a value in separating parts of a package name, I want to make sure that is not it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:21:02 PM by Jason W »

Offline sm8ps

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 01:52:09 PM »
Thanks for your considerations! When I shall eventually start from scratch, I will reproduce the set-up and compare. Also, I will put this information into the wiki at the same time. For the time being, I just switched harddrives and dCore continues to run perfectly well on a replacement laptop. Wonderful!