WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Add flpicsee viewer to iso's / images?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline PDP-8

Add flpicsee viewer to iso's / images?
« on: January 14, 2018, 03:08:03 AM »
Just thinking out loud here...

The standard iso's and images of TC with fltk have a menu option of taking a screenshot, but there is no way to view it with only the supplied tools.

Yes, we can get anything we want online, but suppose a new user can't get online for some reason, yet wants to take advantage of the screenshot function on that box.

Keeping with the overall theme of TC, I'm wondering how anyone would feel about including flpicsee with the standard downloadable iso's / images?  I don't think it would add much to the overall size, and again the justification is because of the screenshot capability that comes standard.

Use case:  New user with no access to the net (for whatever reason) decides to use TC as an educational tool to document their use for themselves or others.  The fltk editor (or vi), along with screenshot, and their progress saved for later recall, can use flpicsee to help document what they are doing.  Or sneakernet pics onto the TC box for viewing etc.

Yep - getting online solves this issue, but I think it logical that if one puts a screenshot util into the standard distribution, then a way to see those shots with something as small like flpicsee makes sense?
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Add flpicsee viewer to iso's / images?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 07:50:34 AM »
I'm sure everyone hears your plight, but adding unnecessary bloat to TC's basic ISO was never part of the distributions intention.   

See: http://tinycorelinux.net/intro.html

Offline andyj

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »
We could get rid of perl from the ISO and free up 13M of space, if someone wanted to translate the scripts in syslinux into something smaller like Tcl 8.5 which is less than 1 meg. Python's dependencies make it even bigger than perl no matter which version you commit to.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 04:53:54 PM »
Gotcha - TC is "toolkit", not a distribution.

I was talking to Brian Kernighan awhile back (yes, that Brian) and we were discussing bloat and how it is so hard to choose a "distro" to run.  He asked me what to run.

So, you don't give a flippant answer, or offer up the usual suspects just because they are popular now or in the past.  You don't want to bs or hype the professor.

I actually took a couple days to think about it, just to make sure, and recommended TinyCore as a perfect fit for his style re "The UNIX Programming Environment".   I don't know if he or his students may be running it now or not.

So I'm on board and not trying to take TC in any different direction.  Just logic puzzles like being stranded on an island to help me sort it out. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:59:15 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth