WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Python Idle  (Read 1780 times)

Offline kmhill

Python Idle
« on: December 19, 2017, 05:09:52 PM »
Hi folks;

I'm organizing some projects to work during winter break. I'll appreciate your comments.

I've been looking for Python development tools. While there's a wealth of text editors, debuggers are less common. After some digging, I'm finding myself rediscovering Idle, which is a GUI tool and includes a debugger.  I'm curious, how much overhead the GUI would have in running remotely, either with X-windows or X11vnc.

While the standard Python includes source for Idle, in looking at the 9.0.3 repo it appears that python.tcz doesn't include Idle. Anyone have any tips on the details of building Python? Ubuntu has Python and Idle in separate packages, which I like.

I found some other choices. To start with text based tools, apart from the built-in pdb CLI debugger tools, the PuDB debugger reminds me of Borland turbo debugger.

To use gdb with Python, the debugger symbols must be present. If/when I get to writing Python extensions, I'll be looking close at this.

Some folks are running PyDev/Eclipse on a host PC and remotely running Python on a RasPi. How complicated is this? I think this is a nice goal to work toward. I'll start with something that runs natively on the RasPi.

Any thoughts? Know of any other tools? Thanks in advance,
Krista

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Python Idle
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:47:36 PM »
Are you sure that the python extension does not include idle - I haven't checked, but I would guess it is written to the file system by the startup script when the extension is loaded?

Offline kmhill

Re: Python Idle
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
Hi Juanito;

Thanks for your correction and apologies, I didn't look close enough. On the first try idle complained that tk wasn't installed, which is an easy fix with tce-load -i tk

I found that tk.tcz was somehow on my machine as well. So, I'll start with Idle.

Krista