WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Apache2 not running with 8.2.1  (Read 2419 times)

Offline parky_dw

Apache2 not running with 8.2.1
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:26:11 AM »
I've just attempted a rebuild of my web server using Tiny Core 8.2.1.  Having installed 8.2.1 and then used the app server to install apache2.tcz I find attempts to access the webserver (without any attempt to edit the default configuration) result in a return of

This page isn’t working

192.168.10.43 didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

When I go and look in the Apache log file I find a number of lines like:
[Fri Dec 01 20:16:02 2017] [notice] child pid 2776 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

Originally I found this behaviour on a box using an AMD AMD G-T48E CPU, but I get exactly the same behaviour on a box with an Intel Atom D2550 CPU.

Any ideas?

Offline andyj

Re: Apache2 not running with 8.2.1
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 11:25:30 AM »
What platform is this on (32-bit Intel, 64-bit AMD, ARM6, ARM7, etc)?

Offline parky_dw

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
As indicated above I've had this both with an AMD CPU and an Intel CPU.  In each case it's the 32-bit distribution that I'm using.

Offline andyj

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 01:21:52 PM »
You say you are using apache2.tcz, which is 6 years old. Why are you using that version instead of the more recent apache2.4.tcz, which was compiled for TC 8.x just a few months ago?

Offline parky_dw

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »
I guess the quick reply is inertia.  When I tried 2.4 some years ago it broke a some of my scripts due to the change in syntax in some areas.  As things stood (and still stand!) stuff I have running locally under the apache2.tcz build also runs quite happily on the servers of my hosting company so I've had no incentive to update my local mirror/test bed.  Maybe it's about time I made the effort to see if I can move forward to 2.4......

Offline andyj

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:02:04 AM »
Apache 2.2 was declared EOL in July http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/Announcement2.2.html. Depending on what you are doing, you might consider nginx as well.

Offline parky_dw

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 10:36:19 AM »
Well I've made the effort and things are now apparently running Ok with 2.4. As was expected the web pages were full of error messages until I added SSILegacyExprParser On to the configuration file.

Re nginx - I don't really care what I'm running.  I use the (private) local website to add new content/features where I check that it runs and that there are no syntax errors.  Once I'm happy that all looks ok and functions as it should I upload it to the public web site on my hosting company's servers.  My only criteria is that my local server matches the behaviour of the hosting company's server - that way all my mistakes are hopefully made in private.

Anyway, back to the start, if apache2.tcz does produce segmentation faults with the latest releases should it be even appear in the app browser?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
Hi parky_dw
Anyway, back to the start, if apache2.tcz does produce segmentation faults with the latest releases should it be even appear in the app browser?

Based on  http://tinycorelinux.net/8.x/x86/tcz/apache2.tcz.info  this is the same  tcz  that is in the TC4 repository. Maybe a
dependency is missing? Or maybe it doesn't like the new version of  openssl.tcz.  In the comments section of
http://tinycorelinux.net/8.x/x86/tcz/openssl.tcz.info  it states:
openssl sslv2 + 3 disabled at compile