WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: nouveau.ko missing in 8.x/graphics-4.8.17-tinycore, needed by xf86-video-nouveau  (Read 3948 times)

Offline reglop

It appears that nouveau.ko is missing (CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU was not set in http://repo.tinycorelinux.net/8.x/x86/release/src/kernel/config-4.8.17-tinycore) for TinyCore 8.x, and thus doesn't exist in graphics-4.8.17-tinycore.tcz. 

When I try to run X with xf86-video-nouveau.tcz installed, consequently, X cannot use the nouveau backend:

[479099.154] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:01:00.0: -19
[479099.154] (EE) No devices detected.
[479099.154] (EE) Fatal server error:
[479099.154] (EE) no screens found(EE)

Per https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TroubleShooting/#index1h3, it seems we're missing nouveau.ko; using tce-ab's "P)rovides" feature finds nothing for nouveau.ko.

Offline coreplayer2

Am curious for which NVIDIA hardware do you need nouveau.ko for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reglop

vid = 0x10de (NVidia), pid = 0x0328 (GeForce FX Go 5200), subsystem_vid = 0x1179 (Toshiba America), subsystem_pid = 0x0010

https://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/10de/0328

Offline coreplayer2

Hmmm..  looks like the Nvidia 173.x driver might work in this case but the Go version is not specifically listed as supported..  either way I'm not sure I can help you,  as I do not have a similar video card to test it on even if we build the driver.

if you're interested, maybe there's a way still....

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Nouveau was disabled on purpose, as it is still far too unstable. Please use the binary Nvidia driver, or nv/vesa/fbdev.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline reglop

I'm interested; I'll be trying the Nvidia binary drivers, as I'm trying to enable overlays/video playback acceleration.  The nv driver does not support any acceleration (and vesa obviously wouldn't either, and I'm guessing fbdev doesn't as well).

Would it make sense to flag xf86-video-nouveau for removal (or moving it somewhere else), then, from the TCE repository?  Since it'll never work without the Nouveau driver, it might trip up another newbie (like myself).

Offline jls

Nouveau was disabled on purpose, as it is still far too unstable. Please use the binary Nvidia driver, or nv/vesa/fbdev.
But in Ubuntu nuoveau is used
dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Yes. Other distros will make their own decisions.

Offline coreplayer2

Hmmm..  looks like the Nvidia 173.x driver might work in this case but the Go version is not specifically listed as supported...

if you're interested, maybe there's a way still....
According to this publication http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html
173.14.xx driver supports your 0x0328 video card. 

The kernel driver refuses to build on my system.  It has a recent video card installed and I've previously only been able to build drivers for supported hardware.  My hardware is limited..

I can send you my build script and updated kernel source extension (since it's not in the repo yet) and you should be able to build and install the 173.14.xx driver.  All I ask is if you don't submit the extension please forward the build archive to me and I'll make sure we publish it for others to also benefit.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Oh, that legacy driver was last updated in 2013. It will not support current kernels or X. To use it, you need to use a distro from that time period. Such is life with old products and binary blobs :P

It looks like there were 173 extensions made for tc 6, but not published, or perhaps they were pulled?
edit: tc 6's xorg is too recent after the updates, tc 5 might be the last to work with this blob.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:03:50 AM by curaga »

Offline coreplayer2

Yes that one..  :D   You know Nvidia recently updated many of their legacy drivers to support newer kernels,   but maybe not the 173.xx driver?   Only one way to find out right??

I have the nvidia-173.14.39-3.0.3-tinycore.tcz extension for TC-6 if the driver doesn't build in TC8
edit:  Wait!!  3.0.3 was from TC4??

It doesn't look like 173.xx drivers were ever published for TC-4.x, TC-5.x or TC-6.x but I possibly have a copy for TC-4 (their status is unknown)..

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:54:32 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

IIRC the 3.0.3 kernel was dropped in favor of 3.0.21 Kernel because of some reliability issue..  Of course I only have the nvidia driver for 3.0.3 kernel..   Might be worth attempting to build an extension for TC-4 3.0.21 kernel first?