WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Problems with fresh install  (Read 2291 times)

Offline darkenvy

Problems with fresh install
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:29:18 PM »
Hey guys, I usually lurk forums and search for answers. However I am begining to be out of ideas. The fresh DD of the latest version (9.0.3) boots up tcl no problem. However I am unable to do a lot of things that the FAQ, wiki and forums say I should be able to.

"ab" should work. "ab.tcz not found".
"tce-load" should work. However, repo.tinycorelinux.net returns 404 (using -wi flag to download and load on boot)
/tce should persist. I manually wget a tcz into /tce/optional/ and upon "sudo reboot", the directory was gone.

Ideas?

Online Rich

• Administrator
Re: Problems with fresh install
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 05:55:22 PM »
Hi darkenvy
Did you read this:
http://tinycorelinux.net/9.x/armv6/releases/RPi/README
Especially the sections labeled  "After the first run"  and  "SD card partitioning".

Offline darkenvy

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 06:09:21 PM »
I did yes. I expanded the partition and can now use all 16GB of this card.

I started to notice that /mnt/mmcblk0p2/ contains /tce!! Interesting...

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:04:19 PM »
Hi darkenvy
I started to notice that /mnt/mmcblk0p2/ contains /tce!! Interesting...
That is correct,. the  tce  directory is not in the root directory of the Linux file system. It's in the root directory of the storage
device which in turn gets mounted under the  /mnt  directory.

Offline polikuo

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 08:11:14 PM »
"ab" should work. "ab.tcz not found".
"tce-load" should work. However, repo.tinycorelinux.net returns 404 (using -wi flag to download and load on boot)
/tce should persist. I manually wget a tcz into /tce/optional/ and upon "sudo reboot", the directory was gone.

There is no such extension named ab.tcz, if you're looking an CLI app browser, try tce-ab or tce for short.

/tce is the tce directory for cloud mode and is located in the RAM, therefore, application extensions are lost on reboot.

To set-up a persistent tce directory, type tce-setdrive, but the TC should have already picked it up for you while it's booting.

As for the 404 error, check your network, if the problem persist, download mirrors.tcz from a working computer and put it in your SD card.

Offline darkenvy

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
Thanks for the heads up guys. idk where the "ab" thing came from.

Where can I make persisting changes to the linux os? if I made a change to /opt or /usr, surely it wouldn't persist.

I also found http://tinycorelinux.net/corebook.pdf . This up to day? Looks like its worth a full read :D

Offline Misalf

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:18:25 PM »
Yes, that's a good read.

If you're using a desktop you can use the  filetool  app to add files to your "backup" so they persist across reboots.
Otherwise add files manually to  /opt/.filetool.lst 
For example
Code: [Select]
echo "usr/local/etc/example.config" >> /opt/.filetool.lst
and update your backup
Code: [Select]
filetool.sh -b

Note that  /opt  and  /home  are already listed in  /opt/.filetool.lst  so you don't need to add anything contained in these directories.
However, you can exclude files from being included in your backup by adding them to  /opt/.xfiletool.lst .
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline archerbob

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 01:39:46 AM »
It took me awhile to find .filetool.lst on account of when you use XFE and look in the directory it's supposed to be in it doesn't show because it's a hidden file, I had to go to the panel tab and click on show hidden files.  I think from command line you use

ls -A

In my .filetool.lst it only had opt and home I believe, everything else I've had to add.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 05:26:43 AM »
Correct.

If a file or directory name starts with a dot, it's hidden.

Only user files are stored in the backup by default, resulting in a clean base system after reboot and greatly reducing the amount of collected trash the user might not be aware of. Of course, non-trash can easily be added to the backup, indirectly teaching the user to take care of the system. Side effect or genius idea? :p
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)