WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: remastering question and more  (Read 4510 times)

Offline betchern0t

remastering question and more
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:06:02 AM »
Hi,
     I am attempting to use the core distribution - I hope this is the right place - to simulate some embedded systems work I am doing.

This is a secure updator. The process is that the device - a kvm installed with core to the disk - boots to core and then proceeds to boot a second instance using kexec. This all works. To make things simpler I am re-using the core.gz initrd that is supplied. I do this by setting the kernel commandline to include "root=/dev/ram0".

This is all working and I am even managing to make changes to the core.gz. However one thing that has me stumped is that instead of autologin when booting to the second kernel, I am presented with a login prompt. I have tried setting the commandline "user=tc" but that had no effect.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

many thanks in advance

Paul

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: remastering question and more
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:35:37 AM »
Doublecheck you have the correct initramfs for the second kernel, and that there is no "noautologin" in the bootcodes.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline betchern0t

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
thanks Curaga for the response. The reason it is failing is that when busybox's login is called in /sbin/autologin it fails with "-f is only for root"

The user calling it is "root" so all I can assume is that I have some kind of permission problem.

There is no "noautologin" on the commanline.

Cheers Paul

Offline betchern0t

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 01:15:44 PM »
yep. That was it :o I put all my extract code into a script and ran it under root and the problem went away. Nasty what the smallest piece of lint does to the machine.

Many thanks for your help

Cheers Paul