WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wireless password  (Read 3873 times)

Offline ujrak

Wireless password
« on: October 23, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »
Hi!

I've installed TC Plus but when I tried to connect to the local Wi-Fi network it asked for a password that is between 8 and 63 characters long even though the password is 5 characters long, it refused it, I couldn't join. What is the problem?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Wireless password
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 06:30:22 AM »
Did you have the correct driver/firmware loaded for your wifi hardware?

How did you try to connect to wifi - using the wifi extension, manually, or?

Did you choose the correct encryption protocol for your wap?

Sometimes, even if the wap password should work, you need to use the 26 digit hexadecimal code...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:11:00 AM »
Hi ujrak
Hi!

I've installed TC Plus but when I tried to connect to the local Wi-Fi network it asked for a password that is between 8 and 63 characters long even though the password is 5 characters long, it refused it, I couldn't join. What is the problem?

You basically answered your own question. It ask for a password that is at least 8 characters long and you gave it one that
is only 5 characters long. The password length is tested for in  /usr/local/bin/wifi.sh  and the size limits are pretty much in line
with what any website or app expects.

Offline ujrak

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »
I don't know if I had the correct driver/firmware loaded for the Wi-Fi hardware (which is an Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter in an IBM ThinkPad R40 laptop).
When I installed Tiny Core Plus I ticked all 3 boxes concerning Wi-Fi (just giving info, not to say that guarantees that I had the correct driver).

I tried to connect by clicking on the red Wi-Fi icon on the desktop, then I chose the number of the network I wanted to join from the appearing list of available networks.

"Did you choose the correct encryption protocol for your wap?"

How can I chose it? (WEP)

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:36 PM »
It looks like you're using the wifi extension and, since you can see a list of available networks, the correct drivers seem to be loaded.

The wifi extension should chose the correct encryption, so perhaps the problem is with the password as mentioned above?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:41:32 PM »
Hi Juanito
The  wifi.sh  script has a loop that will continue to execute while the password is less than 8 or greater than 63 characters.

Offline ujrak

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 01:24:38 PM »
So what are you suggesting?
I can enter a longer password but the network won't accept it, because it wants that 5 character password, which is the actual password for the network.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 01:39:39 PM »
Hi ujrak
You could copy  /tmp/tcloop/usr/local/bin/wifi.sh  to  /usr/local/bin/wifi.sh. Then edit  /usr/local/bin/wifi.sh  and change the
lower limit from 8 to 5 characters. Then add  usr/local/bin/wifi.sh  to your  filetool.lst  file and run a backup.

Offline ujrak

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 02:31:35 PM »
Thanks, I'll try this.