WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Thank you for keeping 32 bit alive  (Read 2483 times)

Offline trpted

Thank you for keeping 32 bit alive
« on: October 15, 2017, 06:02:10 PM »
Last week's issue of Distro Watch Weekly has some topics including if 32-bit prematurely obsoleted or not.

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20171009

Since I can not offer any money or time to assist you at this time, thank you for keeping 32 bit alive.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
Re: Thank you for keeping 32 bit alive
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:57:00 AM »
+1

I have  plenty of 32 bit hardware floating around and precious little 64 bit hardware.

I know there's more to maintaining both a 32 bit version and a 64 bit version than just setting a compiler option, but keeping a 32 bit version around seems like a good idea, and it certainly benefits me.

Thank you to the Tiny Core team for -all- of the variations of Tiny Core.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline thane

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:48:30 AM »
Agree. I'm typing this on a box from 2010 with 2 G memory. Even with 32-bit,  a couple of times during upgrades I've had to ask for old modules to be recompiled so the hardware would still be supported. Great to have a distro that's so accommodating!

Offline archerbob

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
Hello, I am new here...

I just installed the 32bit version 8.2, so far I've got Firefox and flash (27.0.0.180) installed.

But I'm a bit lost as to how to access my home directory, do I need to install a file manager or something to access files and folders like I do via MyComputer in windows?

EDIT: I just found a thread suggesting xfe and it works great!  Now I have to figure out how to add it as an icon to the bottom bar instead of having to use "Run Program"

Any tutorials someone can direct me to for setting up TC to run not dissimilarly to a regular PC.  Do I need to install software when plugging in/ejecting USB flash drives?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:58:30 PM by archerbob »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 09:11:32 PM »
Hi archerbob
Do I need to install software when plugging in/ejecting USB flash drives?
There's an icon on the bottom of the screen that looks like a disk drive. That's the mount tool for mounting and unmounting drives.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 09:37:02 PM »
Hi archerbob
Now I have to figure out how to add it as an icon to the bottom bar instead of having to use "Run Program"
There should be an icon. It's supplied by  xfe-common.tcz  which is a dependency of  xfe.tcz. Also, if you right click on the
desktop you can go to  Applications->xfe->  to select one of the two launch modes for xfe.

Offline archerbob

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
Yes, the icon for xfe turned up after a few reboots, dunno why it didn't come up straight away but it eventually did.  Thanks for trying to help me, I appreciate it!

Currently trying to sort out pulseaudio which I installedm but doesn't work for firefox which keeps telling me to install it when it already is.  Been going through a wiki and there seems to be some issue with dbus not running.

I've also got to sort out issues regarding my system drivers I think as I see errors like the following coming up:

E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c:Failed to connect to system bus: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory

In the square brackets I see with similar red messages [alsa-source-VIA 8237] or [alsa-sink-VIA 8237]

The motherboard in this old system is a MSI PM8M-V VIA P4M800 that is proving horrid to get drivers for linux.

EDIT: I just got sound working in Firefox, I found in another thread I needed to run:

sudo /usr/local/etc/init.d/dbus start

and then pulseaudio command in terminal and viola I had sound.  Unfortunately, I need the bus start command to be in some file that gets called at boot in order to have sound automatically each time I boot so I don't have to keep calling it on the command line each time I boot up my PC.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:44:07 PM by archerbob »

Offline archerbob

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »
Strangely I cannot modify my post so I have to doublepost.

I just found I can put the command to start dbus in bootlocal.sh file that resides in my opt folder, now the only quirk to sort out is pavucontrol muting my sound at boot, is there someway to make my last setting for volume static

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
Hi archerbob
You only have about 30 minutes to modify a post. Also, this thread is about not dropping 32 bit support, so you should really
start a new thread.