WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: getlocale (tc 8.1.1)  (Read 2825 times)

Offline FMark

getlocale (tc 8.1.1)
« on: October 15, 2017, 01:45:09 AM »
I use tinycore 8.1.1 installed at a USB flash. With getlocale.tcz I set my regional properties which works fine for tinycore at my notebook.
BUT
Next day when I started my alternative Linux, installed at the harddisk, I got the message that my language was changed. Seems that the execution of getlocale also made changes at my harddisk and not only at the flash at the USB port. Or removing getlocale.tcz by apps/maintenance did it (I forgot to select a language at the first use of getlocale and downloaded/started it once more). The harddisk was not mounted when I started getlocale.

I never use the harddisk when I work with tinycore. As far as I understand the hd is not necessary when using tinycore at a flash at a USB port. Is there a feature at tinycore to avoid access at the harddisk after boot (make sda unvisible)? If not, maybe a "flash only" bootcode could do it, e.g. nohd (like noutc or noswap). Or a password for access the hd.

best regards
Frank

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: getlocale (tc 8.1.1)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 02:39:57 AM »
If you boot tinycore from a cd/dvd it will search connected devices for a tce folder and load extensions from there if found.

This will also happen if you have used dd to copy the iso to a usb stick, causing tinycore to operate in cd/dvd mode.

I'm not sure what effect the above might have on the getlocale extension.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »
You can specify the drive that holds the tce directory to prevent the searching.
Code: [Select]
tce=LABEL="*Your USB flash drive label*"
or
tce=UUID="*12345-67890-ABCDEF*"
or even a different tce directory name
tce=UUID="*12345-67890-ABCDEF*"/tce-8.x

I as well don't see how your other OS'es locale got messed up.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:31:27 AM »
Hi FMark
... Next day when I started my alternative Linux, installed at the harddisk, I got the message that my language was changed. Seems that the execution of getlocale also made changes at my harddisk and not only at the flash at the USB port. Or removing getlocale.tcz by apps/maintenance did it (I forgot to select a language at the first use of getlocale and downloaded/started it once more). The harddisk was not mounted when I started getlocale. ...
I just don't see how both the above statements in bold can be true. An application cannot write to a drive that's not mounted. The
paths to any files on that disk would not exist, making them inaccessible.

Offline FMark

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 04:55:38 AM »
Thanks for the feedbacks  :)

I installed tinycore by the CorePlus-current to a USB flash. In my extlinux.conf is tce=UUID=... which is set correct.

TinyCore 8.1.1 works very stable and without problems so far at my USB flash (for 5 weeks almost daily in use), except the strange story I recently had with getlocale. I tried to reproduce the problem, but all worked correct. Must have been a mistake by me or maybe done by one of the daily updates at my other Linux at the harddisk.

concerning hd mounting:

Rich, you're right, I also expect no access at the hd when not mounted. However I didn't mount the harddisk manually when I got this mysterious "language changed" message at the other linux which is installed at the hd.

By the way, is it possible at tinycore that a script/program can mount the harddisk (any sda partition) and make modifications there without my permisson?

best regards
Frank

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:46:18 AM »
Hi FMark
By the way, is it possible at tinycore that a script/program can mount the harddisk (any sda partition) and make modifications there without my permisson?

Highly unlikely. To the best of my recollection, the only partitions that get auto-mounted are:
1. The  tce  directory, whose location is either specified by you or the first  tce  directory found on the computer.
2. Your  /home  directory if you specify a persistent location.
3. Your  /opt  directory if you specify a persistent location.
4. Any  swap  partitions.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »
Hi FMark
I don't think we're dealing with a bug, so I've moved this to the Q&A section.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:13:20 AM »
Yes, scripts in general can do that. However, there are no such commands in getlocale.sh, you can check.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.