Tiny Core Base > TCB Talk

Frugal install on new laptop (UEFI-BIOS trouble?)

(1/13) > >>

YoupMelon:
Hi all,

On a new HP laptop (Celeron), I'd like to remove the win10 and install TC instead.
I can disable secure boot and enable legacy boot, after which tiny core usb-boot works like a charm, but I have 2 problems:

1) I can only do usb-boot with ESC-F9 etc, I can't get it to automatically boot from USB - ie the BIOS options order doesn't get changed correctly.
With an Ubuntu boot-USB this does work. (And it failed with CorePlus64 which was said to have UEFI support).
Could it be that there is still some secure-boot going on? I read that Ubuntu made a deal with Microsoft for some keys etc.

2) TC doesn't give me access to the HD
After sudo su  fdisk -l, tc shows me only usb, not the HD, so I can't install, format, wipe the disk clean, etc.
The Ubuntu USB-boot also refused me access to the HD, saying it was 'dirty', perhaps because it was in hibernated state (I broke off the standard win10 installation on an 'accept license' button, so it could be that what I thought was 'reset' was really 'hibernate'.)

I'm considering returning the laptop to the dealer and buying another one (still a couple of days left for that).
Can someone overhere help me further?

Because I rrreally like TinyCore, so far.

YoupMelon:
To be clear: I'm especially worried about point 1.

What I'm planning to do is: accept the Win10 install, install Ubuntu as dual,
then after that wiping the disk clean (both Win10 and Ubuntu) and install TC instead.

But if the difference between Ubuntu-UEFI boot and TC-UEFI-boot behavior is caused by some security thing in the PC, then this won't work, and I won't be able to return it to the dealer, 'coz the HD is then pretty much empty.

Any advice from you guys?

BTW, if you can suggest a more suitable forum for this question, I'd be all ears.

Juanito:
I believe the issue is the uefi secure boot feature - apparently microsoft gives the oem the option to allow the user to toggle the feature at their discretion, but windows machines must must be shipped with it enabled by default.

You would need to check with the oem if you are able to toggle secure boot on your machine or not.

BTW, CorePure64 works fine with uefi boot on both windows machines (without secure boot) and mac for me.

YoupMelon:
What I hear you say is that you have no experience yourself with newer machines that have this secure boot option built in, correct?

YoupMelon:
BTW, my laptop BIOS does give me the options to disable secure boot etc. (That's how managed to USB-boot tinycore in the first place.)

But I have the strong impression that disabling that option will not be enough to allow frugal install.

I so hope that I'm wrong (and that someone on this forum knows the trick).

BTW, after USB-booting Ubuntu/UEFI a couple of times, I can no longer even USB-boot tiny core :'(
(And I can no longer disable secure-boot in the BIOS - ie it won't save, and return as 'enabled' on next boot.)

Does all of this sounds like the laptop is to blame? Or am I just not experienced enough with BIOSes etc?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version