WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Home not persistent on TC Hard disk installation  (Read 1830 times)

Offline yacc

Home not persistent on TC Hard disk installation
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:21:53 AM »
Hello,

I'm facing a strange issue with TC.

I have two TC 8.2 installations : one on a USB stick and one on a hard disk.
Both installations are totally identical (copy of tce dir from USB to HD), except that on HD, the boot directory is under tce directory.
extlinux.conf are identical, except for  UUID values used in boot codes for  tce and home definitions

When booting on USB stick, the home directory (/home) is correctly mounted on my persistent home, whereas when booting on HD, the home dir is not mounted on my persistent home.

I've changed the boot option home=UUID=<sda1 UUID> to home=sda1, without better success

The only way to have home correctly mounted is to add a line in /opt/bootlocal.sh : sudo mount /mnt/sda1/home /home

Could someone explain this difference, and perhaps help me in correcting this issue?

Thank you

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Home not persistent on TC Hard disk installation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 10:54:05 AM »
There shouldn't be any such difference, except maybe your disk controller is a bit slow, and an usb boot waits slightly longer. You could try adding "waitusb=5" to your hd install's extlinux.cfg.

Otherwise, you'd need to remaster and add some debug echos in the home-logic in tc-config, to find out where it fails.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline yacc

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 12:12:24 PM »
Thank you for your answer.
Actually, I do have the waitusb=5 in HD's config file.
What do you mean by "remaster" : building a new core with debug options? Is there a tutorial for this operation?
Thank you

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 03:31:52 AM »
Yes, editing core.gz. This is covered in the Remastering wiki page, and in the book. How to edit the tc-config file inside has no tutorial though.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 06:39:22 AM »
Hi yacc
It seems a little odd that your  tce  directory gets mounted but your  home  directory fails to mount, especially if they are on the
same drive. Take a careful look at your syntax:
Code: [Select]
waitusb=5:UUID="6b92c5e1-f49e-480e-87a0-8c1391a873c7" home=UUID="6b92c5e1-f49e-480e-87a0-8c1391a873c7"Check the UUID for accuracy, quote marks, dashes correctly placed, etc. Make sure you used a colon in the  waitusb=5:UUID  and
not a semicolon. If you include a copy of your  extlinux.conf  file as an attachment in you next post, others can look it over to see
if they can spot a possible problem.