WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Read .sys boot file  (Read 3224 times)

Offline antunes879

Read .sys boot file
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:57:25 PM »
I have a .sys file, a boot, and I wish I could open it,
I want to see the command lines, because it accesses a program after the boot, and I can not know anything about the system.
I need to know which drivers are triggered at the time of reading, so I can reinstall upgrade.

Does anyone know how I can see what written in this file, it was done in tiny core 3.8.

Where do I find the symbol file to translate what's inside?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: Read .sys boot file
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
What is the exact file name?  It sounds like a Windows system file, not a Tiny Core file.

Offline antunes879

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 07:11:37 AM »
So I have this pendrive that is in with a boot that at the time of loading appears the system as tiny core 3.8.

What I did, was to open the pendrive in a windows pc with program extread, inside the pendrive has a folder called boot with 2 files, one of them is an .sys and another one is .cdm something like that? Do you need to know the name in the file?

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:43:22 AM »
Hi antunes879
Accurate information is required if you want help.

one of them is an .sys and another one is .cdm something like that? Do you need to know the name in the file?
I hope I never run into you if I ever get lost. I imagine the conversation might go something like this:

Me:  Excuse me, I seem to have lost my way. Could you direct me back to the main highway?
You: Sure, drive about 20 miles back the way you came. Turn north onto Smith street, or Meadow lane, or something like that.
Me: Wait a minute, turn north onto where?
You: Do you need to know the name in the road?
I'll refrain from posting the rest of the conversation to preserve the family friendly nature of this forum.

Offline antunes879

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:54 AM »
Then the files are the ones that are on the pendrive:
Bzimage
Tinycore.gz
Extlinux.conf
Ldlinux.sys

It looks like inside that .sys that's the command line for the driver, and for the program.

Does not know much about tinycore, nor linux.

It was not my intention to hide anything, I just thought it was the extension of the file.

Then these files, I could only read through the program ext read, for windows.

Thanks

Offline Misalf

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 05:22:31 AM »
It's part of syslinux, a boot loader.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 06:46:17 AM »
Hi antunes879
It was not my intention to hide anything, I just thought it was the extension of the file.
It's all about details and accurate information.

The  ldlinux.sys  file is a compiled executable and not editable. Configuration information for the boot loader is in extlinux.conf
which is a text file and editable.

Bzimage
Tinycore.gz
Extlinux.conf
Ldlinux.sys
FYI, those filenames should begin with lower case characters. Linux is case sensitive.

I need to know which drivers are triggered at the time of reading, so I can reinstall upgrade.
The best way to do that is to boot the drive and examine the system. This will let you determine which applications are
installed and which settings if any were changed and backed-up.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I get the feeling your pendrive is a prepackaged dedicated system of some kind. If so, maybe you
could share the origin and its function?

Offline antunes879

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:35:33 AM »
So I have a machine at work that uses this pendrive to start a program, it has no name at all.

Program is like an excel, has a worksheet that registers works, here we make video for commerce, there we put a label on the subject and register in this system, except that the registration is done through a controller interface not a keyboard.

The only information I got from the system, and when it starts it asked to insert the controller, if it is not connected, and tinycore 3.8 appears.

When the system loads, I have tried all kinds of commands that I found for, to exit the program, to go to the terminal, nothing else responds.

So what I wanted to do was put the file in a virtual studio code program, with the symbol file, to decode the file and see what was written to be able to change.

I would like to modify the controller, and upgrade to a younger tinycore.

The machine hangs a lot, and I think the reason is the pendrive that is already in the useful life.

In the extlinux.conf file, when I open in notepad + it only appears the description of the pendrive, type the pendrive mac, only.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:32 AM »
Hi antunes879
In the extlinux.conf file, when I open in notepad + it only appears the description of the pendrive, type the pendrive mac, only.
First piece of advice, never edit Linux files using Windows programs.

The machine hangs a lot, and I think the reason is the pendrive that is already in the useful life.
If that's the case and it's your only copy, the first order of business is to get another pendrive and clone the original. In
fact, make several clones so you don't destroy your only copy experimenting on it.

except that the registration is done through a controller interface not a keyboard.
It sounds like there may be a third party program involved in this. If it is a closed source compiled program I don't see you
making any modifications to it.

Offline antunes879

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 11:40:20 AM »
I understand what program I should use to open the extlinux.conf file,
By the tinycore terminal itself? Do you have any specific commands for this?

I have read a bit about boot files, and they use a type of encoding where you use a file called "symbols", where you can use it to find out which drivers are being "called" at the time of startup. These files "symbols" and a compilation program, could show what is written in the file, experience on the windows platform with virtual studio code.

I do not know if it's true.

When I open in hexadecimal and binary programs, they can not translate the parts where the symbols are, because this file is missing.

I wonder if this is how it works with tinycore?

There is some command, so before uploading the system I can fall into the terminal, so I can navigate the pendrive?

I'm trying to do any line of thinking, otherwise it will have to be done manually to pass all content to a new system, I say typing, because either the program does not issue a report, it does not export any type of file, everything The contents, in the own machine.

If you can help me with any kind of idea, so I can visualize the content, it would be great.

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
Hi antunes879
If you can help me with any kind of idea, so I can visualize the content, it would be great.
You could take a copy of  tinycore.gz  off of the pendrive and unpack it to see what's inside. You'll want to do that in a Linux
environment. This Wiki page has information on how to unpack the file:
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:remastering
The basic instructions are where it says:
Then, extract core.gz for adding/removing something:

Offline antunes879

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
Thank you, I'm really trying anything.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 12:45:09 PM »
The best path is to consult the people who built your USB tool.
You should read the book and wiki to understand what you are dealing with.
http://tinycorelinux.net/book.html
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/

Offline antunes879

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 01:17:34 PM »
Then this was also one of the purposes in trying to read the code, to see if anyone who wrote left a signature inside it, because the program itself has neither the company name nor the name of the program, to know who did.

Thank you anyway, any more questions I'm going to look at the forum.
And if there is a miraculous idea I'm open,  ;D ;)....

Offline polikuo

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 12:49:34 AM »
I usually install TC to USB by virtualbox.

Just boot the latest iso, mount the USB in virtual machine and open the "editor" to edit your extlinux.conf

(usually require sudo privilege)