WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: "tce-load -i" behaves like "tce-load -il"  (Read 1651 times)

Offline DrRob

"tce-load -i" behaves like "tce-load -il"
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:42:24 AM »
"tce-load -i" loads a local extension, but doesn't install it (into "onboot.lst") - why's that?

To install the "wifi" extension on a Pi Zero W I have to copy the extension files into the persistent storage partition by other means (because the Pi can't connect to the network until wifi is installed - chicken, egg, chicken, ...), but because "tce-load -i" only loads the extension (doesn't install it), I then have to manually add lines to "onboot.lst" to persist it.

"tce-load -i" behaves as I would expect "tce-load -il" to behave.  Is it a bug, or have I misunderstood?

I tried loading the extension with "tce-load -i wifi", then "tce-load -wi wifi" to download and install it, but it won't let me do that because the extension is already loaded.

Thanks,
Rob.

Offline Misalf

Re: "tce-load -i" behaves like "tce-load -il"
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 07:19:53 AM »
"tce-load -i" behaves as I would expect "tce-load -il" to behave.  Is it a bug, or have I misunderstood?
True,  tce-load  does not provide the option to only add an item to the onboot list file.
Not sure why this is, but adding an item is usually as easy as
Code: [Select]
echo "extension-name.tcz" >> /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/onboot.lst
Or via the Apps GUI.

I tried loading the extension with "tce-load -i wifi", then "tce-load -wi wifi" to download and install it, but it won't let me do that because the extension is already loaded.
Also true. Not sure why the  -w  and  -i  switches combined make  tce-load  not to continue loading the extension if it's downloaded already.
In scripts, I use
Code: [Select]
tce-load -w extension-name ; tce-load -i extension-name
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)