WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Busybox make config - anything specific?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline PDP-8

Busybox make config - anything specific?
« on: May 12, 2017, 12:56:23 AM »
Got a little more interested in Busybox, and have compiled it on a few random boxes other than TC or PiCore.

Before I go about mucking with TC / PiCore build of busybox, are there any show-stopper or other features that I should *definitely* use or avoid in regards to TC?  I don't want to just break it outright.

Other than hardware issues, are TC's and PiCore's busybox options nearly the same, or do the devs (awesome I might add!) have differing setups?  Guess I'd have to diff the make config files...

I'm just wondering how busybox is compiled.  Size or speed option?  Backward compatible options, or a spartan / classic set of flags...

I'm not a luddite, but my goal here is not just to be small, but to simulate a "classic / old-school" set of options that might make Rob Pike or Doug Macilroy happy. :)

Maybe that is a matter of taste and subject for it's own thread....
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Busybox make config - anything specific?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 01:17:50 AM »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:17:58 AM »
Hi PDP-8
... features that I should *definitely* use ...
Yes. Take a look at  /etc/init.d/tc-functions. There is a function called  useBusybox  that specifically aliases certain commands
to the  busybox  versions. Also,  /etc/init.d/tc-config  calls for  busybox ash  in the she-bang.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2017, 11:13:26 PM »
Thanks guys - that's just what I needed!
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth