WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing Xorg + Nvidia driver  (Read 9032 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Installing Xorg + Nvidia driver
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »

Hi

graphics-KERNEL resolves to graphics-4.8.17-Tinycore(64).tcz
And is a dependency of the proprietary NVIDIA driver

Assuming you installed Xorg and NVIDIA extensions via the correct APPS, tce-load or tce-an methods, then all deps should be installed

As I said earlier, best to run update does and fetch missing deps from APPS or command line to ensure all required deps are truly installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Misalf

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 04:37:13 PM »
tce-an = tce-ab
;)
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 04:45:36 PM »
Thanks for pointing out my typo :)

Offline Misalf

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
smartphones
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 05:17:15 PM »
I blame SIRI :p

Offline tcFan

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 03:59:56 PM »
hi

> update does and fetch missing deps

sorry, I should've mentioned I did try to check missing deps.. doesn't show anything missing. (unless I'm doing smth wrong, I going through APPS and maintenance)

now I went for updates.. 1 by 1 I tried and tested between each: drm, Xfixes, libxcb, libXi.. nothing.

I also noticed in lsmod that stuff like drm were requiring radeon as a module.. I didn't even load it. Tried to move it away from the tce dirs, still there.. (maybe Xorg loads it?)

I thought maybe it was occupying the place of nouveau/304 (I test them separately) but the other distro has both on that same list (lsmod) when they are requirements (such as for drm and the like).

I disabled the nvidia card on the BIOS to test that and the good news is that the other distro can run the radeon module flawlessly. This encouraged me to test that driver while the onboard card is disabled.. xorg log says it can't find the driver! (it is loaded, even when I don't want it, lol).. updated the thing too, still nothing. Vesa can use the radeon card though, and using the 'text' bootcode it does goes into a very large framebuffer than the nvidia's, so the driver should be working?

The other suspicion I had about acpid, I tried installing that extension, but didn't help (xorg log still complains about it, but the /dev/dri/card0 is now found, probably after drm update). The info mentions "adding a file" to some /usr directory to be able to catch events? But I suppose that's for doing it manually?

Maybe we should try the radeon now.. are those drivers ready for 8.0? :)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 08:31:18 PM »
Try

xf86-video-ati.tcz
firmware-radeon.tcz
graphics-4.8.17-tinycore.tcz

See the xf86-video-ati.tcz.info file for compatibility notes

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 08:33:00 PM »
sorry, I should've mentioned I did try to check missing deps.. doesn't show anything missing. (unless I'm doing smth wrong, I going through APPS and maintenance)

Also, before running fetch missing deps, it's wise to update .dep files first
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:37:30 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »
Also highly valuable is the "provides" feature of APPS extension search

Open APPS, select "Provides" and type in what you're looking for and APPS will list any extension which contains the desired module

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »
Before giving up on the nvidia proprietary driver, did you try exiting out of X and running the Xorg configure
Code: [Select]
X -configure from root   which creates a basic xorg.conf file "xorg.conf.new"  just copy it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf ? AND MAKE A BACKUP OF IT

However, from your logs, I see only the monitor EDID can not be read properly..   Commonly a bad EDID or something broke in the chain

If you're using a vga/dvi adapter on your monitor cable, the first thing I'd do is change at least the vga/dvi adapter and possibly the cable too..    Apparently the vga/dvi adapters have a short life and can prevent the nvidia driver from reading the EDID
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 09:35:48 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline tcFan

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »
> wise to update .dep files

done it, nothing.

> graphics-4.8.17-tinycore.tcz

Oh.. also forgot to mention that I was already using graphics ext (but mentioned earlier).
However, this made me notice something, my version is totally wrong and APPS does not find that one.
Mine is 4.2.9! How do I get that, seems like my repos are obsolete?  (maybe it detects the version 7.2 and looks into a different one)

Another thing I was meaning to ask about this, is the (64) you wrote. I assume the regular (32?) is the appropriate for my installation
 (which I think is all 32, even though my cpu is 64 bits).

> X -configure

It seems nvidia-xconfig produces a very complete one. If radeon fails I`ll try that.

> Commonly a bad EDID or

I considered that but, all other systems can do it and.. this monitor is brand new. (which I guess don`t say much but.. ^^)

>vga/dvi adapter

the nvidia isn`t but the radeon is, and I do use a vga cable hub I thought could be it but, everything else works so I didn`t try. I`ll check this later.

> highly valuable is the "provides" feature

cool! thanks. :)

okay.. So I tried the xf86-ati ext, and it seems to have detected my card (it`s indeed one of the "relatively" new)
but again it could not find /dev/dri/card0

... trying together with radeon now:

cool! drm didn`t fail and seems to have everything working!

(even though the "radeon" version it was loading was the same as when I did not load it explicitly, according to Xorg.log tho)
 The framebuffer is even the large one before getting into X (which didn`t fail this time! so looking good!)
.. they didn`t even had to go at the top of the .lst! xD

but the video is still slow.. it (xorg log) does say 2d acceleration is disabled, and EGL and GLX (even though libGL and libEGL are loaded), so that`s probably it!

Is there a way to load only the 2D drivers? (the obsolete graphics ext perhaps?!) otherwise will try Xorg 3D..
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 12:57:29 PM by tcFan »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
> wise to update .dep files

done it, nothing.

> graphics-4.8.17-tinycore.tcz

Oh.. also forgot to mention that I was already using graphics ext (but mentioned earlier).
However, this made me notice something, my version is totally wrong and APPS does not find that one.
Mine is 4.2.9! How do I get that, seems like my repos are obsolete?  (maybe it detects the version 7.2 and looks into a different one)
That's a huge problem!!  :|
AFAIK It's not possible to download an extension from another TC version repo using APPS, tce-load or tce-ab, therefore I suggest maybe it was downloaded manually from the downloads page in the rush and convenience to acquire it??  I think It's the only way to have ended up with the incorrect graphics modules.

Remember that APPS etc., etc..  sees graphics-KERNEL.tcz  KERNEL is a variable which resolves to the kernel version you are running.

If you download manually from the downloads page you'll get the most current version
http://tinycorelinux.net/8.x/x86/tcz/xxx  which is 4.8.17  :p
downloading manually requires a change to the path for version and architecture and you must download the extension, it's md5.txt file, it's .dep file if it exists and each of those files for every file listed in the original extensions dep file.  Confusing?  you bet..  That's why it's strongly recommended to use APPS, or it's command line alternatives.
In your case that would be (assuming 32bit version):
tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/graphics-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz
tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/graphics-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz.md5.txt
http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86/tcz/graphics-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz.dep

and the same applies for every file listed in graphics-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz.dep
Namely: i2c-4.2.9.tcz
:p

APPS and the alternative scripts will download all necessary files recursively so nothing to worry about..

Another thing I was meaning to ask about this, is the (64) you wrote. I assume the regular (32?) is the appropriate for my installation
 (which I think is all 32, even though my cpu is 64 bits).
Sorry I glanced over your original post and couldn't determine if you were running tinycore, tinycore64 or corepure64, maybe I missed that..?  Doesn't matter actually, though there's nothing stopping you from an upgrade to x86_64

> X -configure

It seems nvidia-xconfig produces a very complete one. If radeon fails I`ll try that.
Yes it does but I often find a basic config file might help get the system booted with the desired driver to start with.

> Commonly a bad EDID or
I considered that but, all other systems can do it and.. this monitor is brand new. (which I guess don`t say much but.. ^^)
Exactly, it doesn't say much..   also historically Nvidia drivers have a harder time reading the EDID information than ATI drivers do.  From what I've read.   

>vga/dvi adapter

the nvidia isn`t but the radeon is, and I do use a vga cable hub I thought could be it but, everything else works so I didn`t try. I`ll check this later.
I think anything which can interfere should be removed from the equation,  not only cable adapters but video cards too

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 11:46:56 PM »
xf86-video-nouveau added to x86 8.x repo

Offline tcFan

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2017, 09:09:40 AM »
3D works on the Radeon! \o/ Thanks all.

How to config a different resolution though, since this is configless?

Also, there are those "docs" extensions but, how can I access the docs? seems "man <command>" doesn`t work.. although it seems to create a directory with the documentation. (I install it "on demand", then load it from the menu, it gives a beep sometimes, I suppose if it is already loaded)

>  in the rush and convenience to acquire it

Dude, I totally used APPS.. I wouldn`t even know how to do it manually if you didn`t tell me.
In fact, I`m doing it right now and it still doesn`t show the newer one. :p
I wouldn`t do so many tests if I was in such a hurry. :)

From what you say about the kernel though, it would seem my kernel version *itself* may be the culprit and thus apps doesn`t display the newer one (arguably incompatible?).. from the boot message, I think I do see the kernel version as being that older one, is there a way to pause there or read it in dmesg or something? If so, how would I go about updating the kernel? Maybe I should just go for 8.0 now.. is the Radeon driver there?

Well.. at least the 3d is working, so the driver (radeon) could be said to be fully functional. The irony is.. video still slow ^_^ I guess it can only be Mplayer then, perhaps there is some option there (it even suggest some, like -framedrop) or maybe a compilation flag to be able to take advantage of graphics?

At least it motivated all the troubleshooting, I wouldn`t even suspect something was amiss otherwise.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:11:20 AM by tcFan »