WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Installing Xorg + Nvidia driver  (Read 9034 times)

Offline tcFan

Installing Xorg + Nvidia driver
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »
  Hi! Great project, got everything up and running in no time! Even Firefox and its new dep on pulseaudio =/ (thanks to the forum btw)

One last thing to make things perfect though is to get the video a bit faster (mplayer complains it`s too slow when I try to go Fullscreen). I read somewhere this can be accomplished by installing Xorg (maybe with the graphics ext). I`ve got another distro here which can do video faster on the same machine, so it`s probably my fault here.

I`ve followed the instructions and it seems I can`t get the graphics card driver to work, because when I get a xorg.conf from the nvidia-xconfig utility then startx fails on "waitX" (I remove xorg.conf to get it to work again but then nvidia XServer settings says I`m not using the driver). OTOH it could be something else on the xorg.conf

I`m stuck now, any help would be appreciated.

~~
A few more details (please feel free to ask anything that may help diagnose this):

-- tried both nvidia driver extensions (it`s a onboard geforce 6100, on a mpc51 nforce chipset from 2006). I have not tried both "firmware-nvidia" (cause it says it`s for Tegra) and the 304.131 (cause the link pointed by the info doesn`t seem to include mine, although both other ones include it, thus I tried both)

-- placed the driver before Xorg (on the onboot.lst), then on the very top, didn`t help.
-- also tried the Xorg 3D ext..
-- the instructions on the nvidia driver mention a few other packages (3d-dev, xorg-server-dev) that may be needed to install, but it seems this would be required for running the nvidia-xconfig (it even goes as far as saying how to create the /etc/X11 directory, which I already have), so I did not try that.
-- also installed the graphics-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz
-- Removed Xvesa from onboot.lst

The only difference I noticed was a little sharper (anti-aliased probably) after the 1st round of attempts (when it asked about resolution and depth, so this could be it as well, not necessarily got anything working)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Installing Xorg + Nvidia driver
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »
Hello tcFan

The Nvidia 304.131 proprietary driver  appears to support these hardware
GeForce 6100            0x0242
GeForce Go 6100    0x0247

But first are you using TC-7.2 ? 

To install all required deps use APPS, tce-ab, or tc-load -wi

The Nvidia drivers for TC-8 are not yet ready..

Regarding the other distro, which driver and version is it using successfully?

Also, You could install Xorg-7.7 and the freedesktop xf86-video-nv.tcz or xf86-video-nouveau driver??

:)

Offline tcFan

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
> appears to support these hardware

oh.. he he he ^.^
strange, this time I forgot to backup xorg.conf and the opposite happened, now X did *not* start (same fail on waitforX).. after regenerating the file, it worked, but then nvidia-settings could not properly detect the max resolution, and topped at 640x480, which I`ve found to be kind of cheating that Mplayer now *did* run at a proper speed :) I suppose I could manually edit the monitor entry on xorg.conf for the resolution? `cause if I do it through nvidia-settings(actually even then I have to do it manually but) it only changes the "spanning" (I have to drag the mouse over the edges to see the rest of the screen, resolution still low)

> But first are you using TC-7.2 ? 

I downloaded it recently... yes, when I type 'version' at the console it replies 7.2

> use APPS, tce-ab, or tc-load -wi

I'm using APPS (tho the instructions have us leave X to replace it, so had to use tc-load)

btw, I had a little issue with APPS in that it seems it can't add or remove to the onboot/ondemand lists without root privileges. Although I'd guess adding/removing stuff from the system would be something only root should be doing, I'd say it's rather confusing to n00bs :-D specially since it says I shouldn't be running as root for some other tasks (I can't browse the repo when running by sudo, for instance). This apparent contradiction led me to believe I did something wrong in the installation, 'cause I did a "manual frugal", if there is such a thing :) so perhaps some permissions are off, say the cde was supposed to be on a read-only media or something. (but in that case, the doc (overview/faq) about using unetbooting should add a chmod command to the renaming of cde to tce?)... anyways.. I digress.

> which driver and version is it using successfully?

Curiously, it seems to have both installed (nv 2.1.20 and nouveau 1.0.13, both with the option to upgrade that last version number by 1, but I won't dare since it's working hehe) but, regarding nv, it says: "This driver is largely obsolete, usually the Nouveau driver will provide better results." So I'll try your latter suggestion, that was pretty much what I was looking for but for some reason I mistakenly thought tc didn't had it. Thanks :)

> Also, You could install Xorg-7.7

Yes, I used the 7.7 for the above experiments (now I`m using the 3d version)..  I was pretty sure the nouveau driver would work but, waitforX again.. what should I place at the driver section of xorg.conf? tried nouveau to no avail.. the entire name "xf86-video-nouveau"? I`ll check what the other box uses when I get around to booting it.

thanks!

PS.: btw, is there an easier way to get text from the terminal? it seems vim was compiled without clipboard :-D had to use the vanilla editor on wbar... lol

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »
Hi tcFan
PS.: btw, is there an easier way to get text from the terminal? it seems vim was compiled without clipboard :-D had to use the vanilla editor on wbar... lol
Hold the left button and drag the mouse in the terminal to highlight the text you wish to copy. Move the mouse to where you
wish to paste. Left click to give it focus and center click to paste.

nvidia-settings(actually even then I have to do it manually but) it only changes the "spanning" (I have to drag the mouse over the edges to see the rest of the screen, resolution still low)
I had trouble with nVidia detecting proper settings. I used a command like this to force the correct resolution:
Code: [Select]
sudo nvidia-xconfig --virtual=1920x1080 --mode=1920x1080 --force-generateThe --force-generate option means replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Omit this option if you just want /etc/X11/xorg.conf updated.

Offline tcFan

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 05:28:31 PM »
Hello Rich,

> Hold the left button and drag the mouse in the terminal to highlight the text you wish to copy. Move the mouse to where you wish to paste. Left click to give it focus and center click to paste.

Yes, vim hijacks this behavior with its "visual mode" =(  This does work with less or even plain vi tho..
There seem to be some options to make any copy inside vim go to the system clipboard however.. I`ll check that.

> I used a command like this

The command did work to change things but it changed exactly the way from earlier. I have to scroll the screen..

It`s as if it can`t detect the monitor, it even calls it "CRT-0" in the settings.. perhaps when it thinks its a CRT, it limits the max resolution to 640x480 (actually it was some other weird value, 640x320 I think).. maybe it doesn`t even bother to send the signal to change resolution? (thus my suggestion to change the "monitor"/device section from xorg.conf manually, is there a way to do this?)

The other distro also uses "no-conf" so that wasn`t productive to suss this out.

A couple videos didn`t get the "your cpu is too slow" from mplayer this time (in all CAPS, how rude! o.O), still got from a bigger one but only *after* I try fullscreen. Couldn`t quite tell if the resolution on those videos deteriorated under this "virtual" resolution. The icons do look nice, and yet they are bigger...

Tested back with Xorg 7.7 (without the 3d) and also removed the drivers altogether (from onboot), it seems to fall back ok (I guess xorg will load vesa automagically?)

No idea how to proceed.. at least we know that driver is being loaded. (but why hasn`t nouveau worked?)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 10:08:25 PM »
This apparent contradiction led me to believe I did something wrong in the installation, 'cause I did a "manual frugal", if there is such a thing :) so perhaps some permissions are off, say the cde was supposed to be on a read-only media or something. (but in that case, the doc (overview/faq) about using unetbooting should add a chmod command to the renaming of cde to tce?).

The cde folder needs to be renamed to tce and the permissions need to be set to tc:staff
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:39:57 PM by Juanito »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 11:24:54 PM »
Plus write permissions for onboot.lst and others, if you copied from read-only media.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tcFan

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 09:52:05 AM »
hi all

> set to tc:staff

you mean owner and group, right? (my knowledge of this stuff is a bit shaky) if so, ls -l claims this to already be the case.

> if you copied from read-only media.

extracted from the .iso (which has probably set up permissions as if it`s going on "rom", i guess)

so.. /tce was 575, changed it to 775.. *.lst were 464, changed them to 664.. that should fix it. =) Thanks.  (ondemand/ was already 775, but since tce/ was read-only that`s probably why firefox_getLatest could not add it to the menu)

But back to the original problem.. could it be some other extension taking precedence over the driver or something? Here`s what I`m booting at the moment: (with the 1st couple items made redundant by Xorg, maintenance claims)

Xlibs.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
aterm.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
wbar.tcz
wifi.tcz
pulseaudio.tcz
Xorg-7.7.tcz

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2017, 01:29:09 PM »
My basic onboot.lst for TC-7.2 with Nvidia proprietary driver
aterm.tcz
fltk-1.3.tcz
freetype.tcz
imlib2-bin.tcz
imlib2.tcz
libfontenc.tcz
libICE.tcz
libjpeg-turbo.tcz
libpng.tcz
libSM.tcz
libX11.tcz
libXau.tcz
libxcb.tcz
libXdmcp.tcz
libXext.tcz
libXfont.tcz
libXi.tcz
libXmu.tcz
libXpm.tcz
libXrandr.tcz
libXrender.tcz
libXt.tcz
wbar.tcz
Xlibs.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
hackedbox.tcz
alsa-config.tcz
e2fsprogs.tcz
mtools.tcz
dosfstools.tcz
ntfsprogs.tcz
xz.tcz
util-linux.tcz
gedit.tcz
spacefm.tcz
iptables.tcz
nvidia-352.63-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz
Xorg-7.7-3d.tcz
alsa.tcz
libavcodec.tcz
firefox.tcz
adwaita-icon-theme.tcz
pavucontrol.tcz
flash.tcz

It would be wise to to update your dep lists and fetch missing deps (via APPS) before going further..

If you boot to a command prompt load in this order
nvidia-304.131-4.2.9-tinycore.tcz  should be loaded 1st
Xorg-7.7.tcz next
create an /etc/X11/Xorg.conf  file next (as earlier outlined by Rich)
then startx

Any issues is almost always a result of a miss configured Xorg.conf file

Whilst the system I'm currently using boots configless, (without an Xorg.conf file) yet boots with Nvidia-352.63 driver.
the prior Xorg version required a config file and this is an example
# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 352.63  (buildmeister@swio-display-x64-rhel04-18)  Sat Nov  7 22:01:48 PST 2015

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath        "/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I have another notebook that boots with Xorg and Nvidia proprietary driver but because of an unusually large screen it requires an Xorg.conf, else I cant get past the "Failed Wait for X"

Lastly,  check your logs for details why it failed
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
:)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 01:52:00 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline tcFan

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
The plot thickens...                                                                                             

>check your logs for details why it failed

I guess it thinks all is fine since it can access the driver and set different (though low) resolutions?                                                               
 But I used this suggestion to figure why nouveau isn`t working.. the other distro is indeed using it (also confless though), and arch docs mention it requires KMS, which seems to be working here and I also see a drm extension, so it is all there. Moreover, this time X actually started! (now I cant remember if there was a xorg.conf laying there before I tried changing the driver section to "nouveau", probably since now it at least starts X even though falls back to VESA)

and here`s what I`ve found on the log:

[    20.120] (II) Loader magic: 0x81ba4c0                                                                                                                             
[    20.120] (II) Module ABI versions:                                                                                                                                 
[    20.120]    X.Org ANSI C Emulation: 0.4                                                                                                                           
[    20.120]    X.Org Video Driver: 20.0                                                                                                                               
[    20.120]    X.Org XInput driver : 22.1                                                                                                                             
[    20.120]    X.Org Server Extension : 9.0                                                                                                                           
[    20.121] (--) PCI:*(0:0:5:0) 10de:0242:1458:d000 rev 162, Mem @ 0xf6000000/1                                                                                       
6777216, 0xd0000000/268435456, 0xf2000000/16777216, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072                                                                                           
[    20.122] (--) PCI: (0:2:0:0) 1002:6811:174b:e271 rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/268                                                                                       
435456, 0xf5000000/262144, I/O @ 0x0000a000/256, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072                                                                                             
[    20.122] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or dire                                                                                       
ctory)                                                                                                                                                                 
[    20.122] (II) LoadModule: "glx"                                                                                                                                   
[    20.122] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so                                                                                             
[    20.133] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                               
[    20.133]    compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0                                                                                                           
[    20.133]    ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 9.0                                                                                                         
[    20.133] (==) AIGLX enabled                                                                                                                                       
[    20.135] (==) Matched nouveau as autoconfigured driver 0                                                                                                           
[    20.135] (==) Matched nv as autoconfigured driver 1                                                                                                               
[    20.135] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 2                                                                                                       
[    20.135] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 3                                                                                                             
[    20.135] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 4                                                                                                             
[    20.135] (==) Assigned the driver to the xf86ConfigLayout                                                                                                         
[    20.135] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"                                                                                                                               
[    20.135] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nouveau_drv.so                                                                                           
[    20.152] (II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                           
[    20.152]    compiled for 1.18.0, module version = 1.0.11                                                                                                           
[    20.152]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver                                                                                                                       
[    20.152]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0                                                                                                           
[    20.152] (II) LoadModule: "nv"                                                                                                                                     
[    20.152] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv                                                                                                                     
[    20.152] (II) UnloadModule: "nv"                                                                                                                                   
[    20.152] (II) Unloading nv                                                                                                                                         
[    20.152] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)                                                                                               
[    20.152] (II) LoadModule: "modesetting"                                                                                                                           
[    20.152] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/modesetting_drv.so                                                                                       

[    20.154] (II) Module modesetting: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                       
[    20.154]    compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.18.4                                                                                                           
[    20.154]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver                                                                                                                       
[    20.154]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0                                                                                                           
[    20.154] (II) LoadModule: "fbdev"                                                                                                                                 
[    20.155] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module fbdev                                                                                                                 
[    20.155] (II) UnloadModule: "fbdev"                                                                                                                               
[    20.155] (II) Unloading fbdev
[    20.155] (EE) Failed to load module "fbdev" (module does not exist, 0)                                                                                             
[    20.155] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"                                                                                                                                   
[    20.155] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vesa_drv.so                                                                                             
[    20.155] (II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                               
[    20.155]    compiled for 1.18.0, module version = 2.3.4                                                                                                           
[    20.155]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver                                                                                                                       
[    20.156]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0                                                                                                           
[    20.156] (II) NOUVEAU driver                                                                                                                                       
[    20.156] (II) NOUVEAU driver for NVIDIA chipset families :                                                                                                         
[    20.156]    RIVA TNT        (NV04)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    RIVA TNT2       (NV05)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce 256     (NV10)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce 2       (NV11, NV15)                                                                                                                           
[    20.156]    GeForce 4MX     (NV17, NV18)                                                                                                                           
[    20.156]    GeForce 3       (NV20)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce 4Ti     (NV25, NV28)                                                                                                                           
[    20.156]    GeForce FX      (NV3x)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce 6       (NV4x)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce 7       (G7x)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce 8       (G8x)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce GTX 200 (NVA0)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156]    GeForce GTX 400 (NVC0)                                                                                                                                 
[    20.156] (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms                                                                                             
[    20.156] (II) VESA: driver for VESA chipsets: vesa                                                                                                                 
[    20.156] (--) using VT number 2                                                                                                                                   

[    20.305] (EE) [drm] Failed to open DRM device for pci:0000:00:05.0: -19                                                                                           
[    20.305] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory                                                                                                       
[    20.305] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for modesetting                                                                                                     
[    20.305] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory                                                                                                       
[    20.306] (EE) Screen 0 deleted because of no matching config section.                                                                                             
[    20.306] (II) UnloadModule: "modesetting"                                                                                                                         
[    20.306] (II) Loading sub module "vbe"                                                                                                                             
[    20.306] (II) LoadModule: "vbe"                                                                                                                                   
[    20.306] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libvbe.so                                                                                                       
[    20.308] (II) Module vbe: vendor="X.Org Foundation"                                                                                                               
[    20.308]    compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.1.0                                                                                                           
[    20.308]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0                                                                                                           
[    20.308] (II) Loading sub module "int10"                                                                                                                           
[    20.308] (II) LoadModule: "int10"                                                                                                                                 
[    20.308] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so                                                                                                     
[    20.313] (II) Module int10: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
 [    20.313]    compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0                                                                                                           
[    20.313]    ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 20.0                                                                                                           
[    20.313] (II) VESA(0): initializing int10                                                                                                                         
[    20.316] (II) VESA(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000                                                                                                                                                                                             

So, it does find the driver, it does load it, it does manage to match it to the correct card (notice I also have a Radeon there, on pciX, which would also be cool if we managed to activate, but the other distro has problems with it so I guess it would be even more complicated, when I try with TC it displays only a cursor on the nvidia card, which I assume it did change the desktop over, and at least it didn`t crash.. can`t ctrl-alt-backspace but can ctrl-alt-del)                                                                             

The problem is it cannot find and open /dev/dri/card0                                                                                                                 
Looking there, there *is no* /dri inside /dev

So I wonder if this is also another symptom of the permissions thing from the "install"? When I installed just now pci-utils to check which card it was matching it to, the underlying script for APPS was unable to add it to onDemand list, although now I can do it inside APPS without running through sudo.

any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 12:51:50 PM by tcFan »

Offline tcFan

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 12:58:12 PM »
 The forum word count limit didn`t allow to place it in 1 message, but this part is also interesting for the resolution problem:

[    20.327] (II) VESA(0): VESA BIOS detected                                                                                                                         
[    20.327] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0                                                                                                                       
[    20.327] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 131072 kB                                                                                                               
[    20.328] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM: NVIDIA                                                                                                                       
[    20.328] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 5.81                                                                                                             
[    20.328] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation                                                                                                     
[    20.328] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: Crush50 Board - c51g                                                                                                 
[    20.328] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Chip Rev                                                                                                         
[    20.377] (II) VESA(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section                                                                                       

"Default Screen Section" for depth/fbbpp 24/32(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32                                                                           
[    20.377] (==) VESA(0): RGB weight 888                                                                                                                             
[    20.377] (==) VESA(0): Default visual is TrueColor                                                                                                                 
[    20.377] (==) VESA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)                                                                                                     
[    20.377] (II) Loading sub module "ddc"                                                                                                                             
[    20.377] (II) LoadModule: "ddc"                                                                                                                                   
[    20.377] (II) Module "ddc" already built-in                                                                                                                       
[    20.382] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC supported                                                                                                                     
[    20.382] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC Level none                                                                                                                     
[    20.382] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC transfer in appr. 0 sec.                                                                                                       
[    20.576] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE DDC read failed                                                                                                                   
[    20.577] (II) VESA(0): VESA VBE PanelID read successfully                                                                                                         
[    20.577] (II) VESA(0): PanelID returned panel resolution -32765x-4572                                                                                             
[    20.577] (II) VESA(0): ...which I refuse to believe                                                                                                               
[    20.577] (II) VESA(0): Searching for matching VESA mode(s):   

Notice how it is returning garbage (negative resolution) even for vesa.. it then proceeds to probe for all modes. (good thing it "refused to believe" that ^_^')

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 11:31:45 PM »
Is the graphics-KERNEL extension loaded?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 12:40:45 AM »
Your log only shows it tried nouveau and vesa, I think you should be using the binary nvidia 304 driver (or the radeon, if you want to use that one).
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tcFan

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 11:23:13 AM »
Hi Juanito, curaga

> Is the graphics-KERNEL extension loaded?

I don't see it anywhere. Not in the .lsts, not in the directories (tce, optional), nor in the "installed" (from the control panel 'stats'). Worse, can`t find it on the repo either, the only thing with 'kernel' in the name are the sources.

>  I think you should be using the binary nvidia 304 driver (or the radeon, if you want to use that one).

Yes, tried that in the previous attempt. Did it again to get the logs, it seems it can`t get the monitor EDID.. also this ACPID is suspicious:

[   367.239] (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or dire
ctory)
[   367.239] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[   367.239] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[   367.284] (II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   367.284]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[   367.284]    Module class: X.Org Server Extension
[   367.284] (II) NVIDIA GLX Module  304.131  Sun Nov  8 22:05:17 PST 2015
[   367.284] (II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
[   367.284] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so
[   367.510] (II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
[   367.510]    compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
[   367.510]    Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[   367.527] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  304.131  Sun Nov  8 21:45:40 PST 201
[   367.527] (II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
[   367.530] (--) using VT number 2

[   367.540] (II) Loading sub module "fb"
[   367.540] (II) LoadModule: "fb"
[   367.540] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libfb.so
[   367.543] (II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   367.543]    compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0
[   367.543]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[   367.543] (II) Loading sub module "wfb"
[   367.543] (II) LoadModule: "wfb"
[   367.543] (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so
[   367.555] (II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[   367.555]    compiled for 1.18.4, module version = 1.0.0
[   367.555]    ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
[   367.555] (II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
[   367.555] (II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
[   367.555] (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
[   367.577] (**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
[   367.578] (==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
[   367.578] (==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
[   367.578] (==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
[   367.578] (**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling 2D acceleration
[   368.290] (WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): Unable to read EDID for display device CRT-0
[   368.293] (II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 6100 (C51) at PCI:0:5:0 (GPU-0)
[   368.293] (--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
[   368.293] (--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 05.51.28.39.00
[   368.293] (--) NVIDIA(0): Interlaced video modes are supported on this GPU
[   368.293] (--) NVIDIA(0): Valid display device(s) on GeForce 6100 at PCI:0:5:
[   368.293] (--) NVIDIA(0):     CRT-0 (connected)
[   368.293] (--) NVIDIA(0): CRT-0: 350.0 MHz maximum pixel clock
[   368.296] (**) NVIDIA(0): Using HorizSync/VertRefresh ranges from the EDID fo
r display
[   368.296] (**) NVIDIA(0):     device CRT-0 (Using EDID frequencies has been e
nabled on
[   368.296] (**) NVIDIA(0):     all display devices.)
[   368.296] (==) NVIDIA(0):
[   368.296] (==) NVIDIA(0): No modes were requested; the default mode "nvidia-a
uto-select"
[   368.296] (==) NVIDIA(0):     will be used as the requested mode.
[   368.296] (==) NVIDIA(0):
[   368.296] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
[   368.296] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
[   368.296] (II) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size determined to be 640 x 480
[   368.297] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to support custom viewPortOut 640 x 360 +0 +
[   368.297] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device CRT-0's EDID; cannot c
ompute DPI
[   368.297] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     from CRT-0's EDID.
[   368.297] (==) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (75, 75); computed from built-in default

[   368.297] (--) Depth 24 pixmap format is 32 bpp
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event daemon; t
he daemon
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     may not be running or the "AcpidSocketPath" X
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     configuration option may not be set correctly.
 When the
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     ACPI event daemon is available, the NVIDIA X dr
iver will
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     try to use it to receive ACPI event notificatio
ns.  For
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     details, please see the "ConnectToAcpid" and
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration options in Ap
pendix B: X
[   368.303] (II) NVIDIA(0):     Config Options in the README.
[   368.304] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
[   368.370] (II) NVIDIA(0): Built-in logo is bigger than the screen.
[   368.413] (==) NVIDIA(0): Disabling shared memory pixmaps

I`ll try again to set the resolution (as per Rich`s suggestion), to see if the "no modes requested" changes, it will probably fail at that "custom viewPortOut" there..

brb

Offline tcFan

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
Yep.. pretty much:
[  2397.540] (**) NVIDIA(0):     all display devices.)
[  2397.540] (WW) NVIDIA(0): No valid modes for "CRT-0:1024x768"; removing.
[  2397.540] (WW) NVIDIA(0):
[  2397.540] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to validate any modes; falling back to the d
efault mode
[  2397.540] (WW) NVIDIA(0):     "nvidia-auto-select".
[  2397.540] (WW) NVIDIA(0):
[  2397.540] (II) NVIDIA(0): Validated MetaModes:
[  2397.540] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "CRT-0:nvidia-auto-select"
[  2397.540] (**) NVIDIA(0): Virtual screen size configured to be 1024 x 768
[  2397.541] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to support custom viewPortOut 640 x 360 +0 +

btw, how can I know when the drivers are ready for 8.0? :) And can the installer take the iso as a source or should I update from this one?