WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Build file for compiling MariaDB  (Read 2183 times)

Offline lawrenced1

Build file for compiling MariaDB
« on: May 14, 2017, 07:05:50 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a mariadb.build file or script that other people use to compile MariaDB from source. I know there is an existing extension but I am wanting to see how it is done.  I have done my own apache, php and oracle extensions, but I keep getting failure while compiling.

I consider myself an intermediate builder and have experience in dependencies and hunting down errors and fixing them, but this one has me stumped.

Offline polikuo

Re: Build file for compiling MariaDB
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 07:22:25 PM »
Hi

http://tinycorelinux.net/7.x/x86_64/tcz/src/mariadb/

(MIRROR/VERSION/BUILD/tcz/src/EXTENSION)

Offline andyj

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:35:25 AM »
It took a while but I finally got MariaDB to compile while I was putting together the Apache / PHP / PostgreSQL stack last year for 64-bit. I don't use MariaDB (for many of the same reasons I don't use Windows) but I built it as part of the stack assuming someone with less database experience might think that it was what they wanted. As you can see I had to create three of my own patches to get it to compile and run. I haven't updated it since and I only have it to build and test PHP so that I can keep it current. Maybe the MariaDB has fixed some of these bugs since then and these patches might not be necessary. Someone with an actual interest in it needs to take over maintaining this beast.

Out of curiosity, what did you do with Apache and PHP that aren't in the existing extensions? Is there something you would like to see that isn't there already, or something tweaked? I don't use all the extensions, so I'm open to input from others who do.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 07:59:17 AM »
I don't use MariaDB (for many of the same reasons I don't use Windows)

Can you explain?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline andyj

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
I've been an Oracle DBA for decades now. I've used other databases along the way, on Windows, HP-UX, Linux, and VMS. I try to avoid using Windows unless I have to because compared to other OS's I've used it doesn't have the same stability and robustness I've come to expect. They do everything different deliberately, from using back slashes when the rest of the world uses forward slashes, having a binary registry which makes maintenance a nightmare (reinstalling is sometimes preferable over attempting to uninstall some software package), and many operations that would be trivial in Linux are hard to impossible in Windows. And then there's the mantra that sums it up: In Windows reboot, in Linux be root.

With regards to MariaDB (MySQL), it's popular like Windows is popular. But there's a ISO SQL standard that the other vendors do a better job of following, and fundamental relational elements like referential integrity constraints, nested and coorelated subqueries, and ACID compliance that just don't work right.

A casual computer user will never know what makes Windows hard to administer, and admins who only work on Windows think they know computers, when clearly they don't. A developer new to databases has no experience to know the difference between them, so if they go the popular route like most people do, then they'll just accept MariaDB quirks as normal not knowing any better. When you've used others, then the differences become clear.

There are plenty of opinion articles on the web about which is better, so I'm not going to summarize them all here. Do some research, learn from others experience.

Offline lawrenced1

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 06:33:54 AM »
It took a while but I finally got MariaDB to compile while I was putting together the Apache / PHP / PostgreSQL stack last year for 64-bit. I don't use MariaDB (for many of the same reasons I don't use Windows) but I built it as part of the stack assuming someone with less database experience might think that it was what they wanted. As you can see I had to create three of my own patches to get it to compile and run. I haven't updated it since and I only have it to build and test PHP so that I can keep it current. Maybe the MariaDB has fixed some of these bugs since then and these patches might not be necessary. Someone with an actual interest in it needs to take over maintaining this beast.

Out of curiosity, what did you do with Apache and PHP that aren't in the existing extensions? Is there something you would like to see that isn't there already, or something tweaked? I don't use all the extensions, so I'm open to input from others who do.

For the most part extensions work well.  I needed the oracle instant client drivers and a need to compile PHP with optional extensions which led me to do my own apache compile.

I just wanted to extend that to mariadb.

For the most part the task is educational since I really enjoy the Tiny Core architecture and enjoy scripting my own setup and compile scripts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline andyj

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 07:25:04 AM »
For the most part extensions work well.  I needed the oracle instant client drivers and a need to compile PHP with optional extensions which led me to do my own apache compile.

I just wanted to extend that to mariadb.

OK, but the existing Apache and PHP .tcz extensions already support those. When I build PHP I run "make test" against Oracle, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server, SNMP, and LDAP, so I'm still curious what is lacking because I try to include what someone might find useful. I also have two servers, one running Apache / PHP as a module, and another with Apache / PHP in FPM (preferred, IMHO) so I know both work. Again, I'm certainly open to suggestions.