WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: some extensions (robc) cannot be used with 'user' boot code  (Read 2052 times)

Offline florian

• Home Page
Directory for many extensions in /tmp/tcloop isn't accessible by group staff which make many extensions unusable with an alternate user. This is a problem for me as I use the 'user' boot code (allows to access my files on main partition easily). I think this happens mostly with robc's extension (mupen64plus, treeline, py*, sip, ...)

Offline robc

Re: some extensions (robc) cannot be used with 'user' boot code
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
I see this now, I'll get these fixed

I use TCZDIR=`mktemp -d tcz.XXXXXX` as directed in the wiki, the permissions for the temp directory are drwx--S--- instead of drwxr-sr-x. I think that is what is causing the problem.
"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

"Make it so." - Captain Picard

Offline danielibarnes

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »
I might have the same problem; I don't use mktemp as in the wiki instructions. I have my own script and build the binaries as root. Should I "chmod -R g+s" on the top-level directory and/or "chown -R tc:staff"?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:24:02 PM »
Robc sent in 25 corrected tcz extensions to fix this, and they are uploaded.

Offline mikshaw

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:06 AM »
Quote from: danielibarnes
Should I "chmod -R g+s" on the top-level directory and/or "chown -R tc:staff"?
I don't think you should do either.  Setuid is appropriate only in special circumstances, and ownership of files in /usr should always be root:root.  Anything written to a user's directory should be tc:staff...the UID and GID are the same regardless of what your user name is.

I'd check the file permissions of the files and directories to make sure a regular user can have access to them.  Directories and executables should be 755, and regular files should be 644.