WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: spacefm question about setting 'Preferences>Advanced>Terminal' to urxvt  (Read 3526 times)

Offline Rudock1

Hi All, if you use SpaceFM, I have a quick question.

I enjoy using SpaceFM for most GUI file management tasks.  Persistence is pretty good except for locking in my preferred terminal, urxvt.  The app defaults to aterm.  SpaceFM has several "Root" and "SU" preference options which don't quite relate to the Tiny Core root sudo su way.  In SpaceFM when you change terminal preference it takes you down a "Save Root Settings" route because "SpaceFM runs some commands as root via su, these settings are best protected by root."

It pops open a SU terminal window asking for "Password:"  There is a settings file in /etc/spacefm named tc-as-root where I think this gets saved but it is not intended to be edited, or so it says.

Is there even an answer for the SU terminal password question? 
Have you managed to lock in your favorite non-aterm terminal?

Manually editing and adding etc/spacefm/tc-as-root to .filetool.lst works but it does say it is a SpaceFM session file not designed to be edited... I'd like to respect that if possible if there is another way with the so-called "SU" password.

thx
Billy

Offline Misalf

Editing  /etc/spacefm/tc-as-root  and adding that to the backup is exactly what I would do. ;)
Not sure about how to get rid of that terminal window asking for sudo password which isn't needed anyways.
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline coreplayer2

Interesting because I often think about modifying the code to open a new window with elevated privileges without the need to enter the password..

Meanwhile two methods I know of with SpaceFM to open a privileged window are
1. File > Root Window > Enter password  (assuming one has been set)
2. " sudo spacefm "

Offline TomyTurbos

Re: spacefm question about setting 'Preferences>Advanced>Terminal' to urxvt
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:35:06 PM »
I'd like to report that a situation with spacefm and interfacing to 'root' still exists under TC10.0, where Selecting 'Edit as Root' requests a password, despite there being no password.  It opens a terminal window, requests a password and then terminates after any input.

I don't know if this behavior exists in the original code or if it has to do with the build for TinyCore, but it's something to look into.  Spacefm is otherwise a fantastic app, IMO.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:54:47 PM »
I'd like to report that a situation with spacefm and interfacing to 'root' still exists under TC10.0, where Selecting 'Edit as Root' requests a password, despite there being no password.  It opens a terminal window, requests a password and then terminates after any input.

I don't know if this behavior exists in the original code or if it has to do with the build for TinyCore, but it's something to look into.  Spacefm is otherwise a fantastic app, IMO.
AIUI if you set a root password and add the password files to backup,  then root window and root terminal open as expected after entry of the correct password.
see:  http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:passwd

And I agree SpaceFM is a very useful file manager

:)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:57:21 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline TomyTurbos

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 09:00:42 PM »

AIUI if you set a root password and add the password files to backup,  then root window and root terminal open as expected after entry of the correct password.
see:  http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:passwd

And I agree SpaceFM is a very useful file manager

:)

OK, cool.  Does this mean that every time I say 'sudo' or 'sudo su' in aterm I will have to provide the password, or does this only apply to applications such as spacefm?  The reasons I DON'T want to do that are pretty clear (it's a PITA).