Thank you xyz-worx,
I might just try your configuration. I believe that inadyn has not changed since it was first introduced into the TCL repository. I think someone recently added it to the version 7 repository with no changes, so your version may very well be the working version still today.
If that is true then the man page bundled with it may not be accurate. The configuration I listed in my last post is what I have been trying to get functional and it has not been successful. The command I entered into the bootlocal.sh is:
inadyn -f /etc/inadyn.conf
This would hopefully point it to the config file I place in the /etc directory.
The time between ip address checks in my case is 300 seconds so I have tried these two lines in my config file:
update-period = 300 -and- update = 300
Neither of them have worked so I am inclined to try your syntax for that line.
I have also noted delayed answers from http://checkip.dyndns.org
but was not sure if that may have been blowing up my inadyn implementation. Your log file seems to indicate that it will keep trying anyway, which is a good thing.
Since you have a paid Dyndns account you probably did not have to specifically call out the "checkip-server" in your config file. When I set that variable I used the full path "http://" included. I will have to try it without that part and see if it works. Different man pages across the internet call it "checkip-server" or "checkip-url" so even the man pages do not agree on how it should be called out. Of course the man page bundled with the TCL implementation has no mention of the variable at all which leaves me searching and experimenting even further.
Sharing your config file has been enlightening. Thank you. I now have more testing I can do to see if these syntax changes make any difference. When I had the mini web server working here at my office, I could not tell if the inadyn function was working. So, I unplugged the box and carted it across town to another office and hooked it up there. I made the port changes to their router and fired it up. After about 40 minutes, it had still not been able to track the IP address change to the new office. So, back to my office and more testing.
I am also going to try to set up a temporary directory in /tmp and then save it before shutdown and reboot so I have a place to setup the inadyn log file. Then I will enable logging and see if I get anything.
Thanks for the peek into your configuration. I will keep trying stuff here.