WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Fifth browser rockin' my world  (Read 2239 times)

Offline PDP-8

Fifth browser rockin' my world
« on: April 01, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »
Wow, really love it.  Although I'm having a hard time finding any docs for it, but fumbling my way through.

I'm not sure this is the best place to discuss it generally either - if there is a better place other than just bug reports to github, let me know.

In the meantime, I'm overjoyed to get my html / css practice in on local files as well as general purpose browsing too.

Tip #1
Couldn't find the File > Open option, nor does CTRL-O seem to work, so I did it the canonical way to open files locally in the url bar.  Note the *triple* slash

Code: (bash) [Select]
file:///home/tc/index.html
Erm, it isn't a bash script, just showing the url entry to fire up my own index.html file.

Tip #2
Using the mouse to control the scrollwheel works, but if you aren't careful, you can zoom the page too quickly, and the browser now chugs away forever on large pages with a lot of content.

Solution is to click the center of the zoomwheel, and then use left/right arrow keys for finer control of zooming.  As indicated by the zoomwheel itself, just double-click the center of it to return to your native resolution.

Again, I don't know if this is a proper place to discuss the Fifth browser.  I **love** it and know it is a work in progress.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:15:32 PM by PDP-8 »
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Fifth browser rockin' my world
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 12:11:06 AM »
It doesn't have a forum/ml. There are docs on the blocking and proxies in the source, doc/, but otherwise none. The UI and keybindings are based on Opera 9, so Opera docs may be of some use.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 01:21:12 AM »
Thanks - I'll look around.  The more I work with it the more I like it.

I was bummed that it wouldn't run my favorite javascript trick of turning a page into a full screen editor even with javascript enabled.  Maybe someday...

In the spirit of TC, who needs an extension or add-on for the editor already built into your browser:  (this basically turns your entire page into a comment box locally):

Pop this into the url bar:
Code: (bash) [Select]
data:text/html, <html contenteditable>
Click on the page and start typing.  Note the *comma* and not a semicolon!  This is the simplest invocation, you can tweak this to your liking with differnt fonts, colors, document sizes etc.  Normally this js is buried in the html code, but it works in the url bar directly on most browsers as a nifty trick.

Use ctrl +/- to zoom font to your liking
Ctrl-s to save
ctrl-o to open
ctrl-f to find
copy and paste from web pages to your notes.  Put the editor url into a separate tab if you like, bookmark etc.

I love Fifth's ability to set js, css etc per-page feature, but I'll wait to see if this ever comes about.  Very handy.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:24:34 AM by PDP-8 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 02:11:49 AM »
I used TC with firefox to open and modify word documents and spreadsheets in Office 365  (Microsoft Office online)  when I needed to submit work to the corporate office.   Really, there's very few limitations with tinycore.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:16:51 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:33:55 AM »
Gulp - I forgot to mention that I'm using ARM (as well as TC x86), and I'm kind of limited in the browser dept on ARM. :)

But yes, TC is what one makes of it.  You bring up an interesting side-configuration I didn't think about: kernel + browser + stripped userland

While this would be an anethema to most of us, what about a chrome-book like TC configuration stripped of almost everthing but the Firefox browser extension - and perhaps just an "update" button for the wBAR?  Maybe put any persistent data on an encrypted filesystem.  Chrome book like environment for those that dig that.

Hmm.. then maybe a "special" repo so they won't try to install gawk accidentally if they want some sort of "firefox" extension..

Your file browser is the url of [file:///]  or ctrl-o or whatever..

The text editor for simple notes can be done like previously mentioned.  In fact, this was a neat trick garnered from a chromebook of mine.  Try to make the browser do all the heavy lifting..

Heresy!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:36:48 AM by PDP-8 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 03:49:26 AM »
You bring up an interesting side-configuration I didn't think about: kernel + browser + stripped userland
Really, I said all that???

Browsers can do so much more, but for simple text files especially if some editing is needed then best to use one of the many lightweight editors from the repo.

:)

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:16:00 AM »
I think I'm consuming too many energy drinks before hitting the forums. :)

For you and me picking up an external editor is the right thing to do, but if we want to keep to the tiny/small browser-is-everything concept which many people adopt, it *can* be done by TC - and perhaps optimized for that environment with some ultra-stripping.

I scoffed at the chromebook concept for years, but said what the heck and picked one up and now I understand.

Is it for me all the time - heck no - that's why I'm back into Tinycore / Picore.

But man - if I were going to do a project like this, I'd try to get / fork the Fifth browser as the base.  It seems like something like that would be a good marriage.

Are today's kids going to learn the joys of sed, grep, awk, vi and so on - nah - but show them javascript as a replacement for basic, and you might have something.

I guess I'm rambling now...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 04:24:14 AM by PDP-8 »

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:25:44 PM »
Ok, back on the X86 side...

Seems a bit happier with local storage turned on..

At the very least, it works great as an offline lightweight way for me to do simple javascript coding, like writing to the error/javascript console, alert and input boxes, document writes directly to the screen - elementary javascript stuff like calculators and so forth.

So I don't have to be online to have fun with it.  Again, my thanks to all that have gotten it this far.