WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Older extensions awol?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline PDP-8

Older extensions awol?
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:30:20 AM »
Where did Midori browser go?  As a Dillo user, thought Midori - even if scripting is disabled - might be a nice alternative.

I don't do banking with browsers like Dillo and Midori, but still think of them useful for some of the sites I do visit in a pi environment..

XTERM - Until I can figure out my PEBKAC situation with fonts in Aterm, perhaps the ugly, but useful ctrl-right-click to bring up xterm's funky font menu would hold me off until I figure out what's going on with aterm....

I saw lxterminal being mentioned as one alternative a few years back here.  But now it's gone from the repos too...

dunno - shows that I'm researching past threads but seeing extensions that no longer exist offered as solutions..
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Misalf

Re: Older extensions awol?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
You could try  fifth.tcz .
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:26:32 PM »
Outstanding!  Fifth browser is *exactly* what I need - no more, no less.

Seems I can crash it with my mouse scrollwheel, so I disable up/down scrolling before I run it and rely solely on pg-up / pg-dn and scrollbars:

Code: (bash) [Select]
xmodmap -e "pointer = 1 2 3 0 0 6 7 8 9 10"
After running fifth browser, I'll just restore as normal with xmodmap again as some simple executables.

I did notice that it throws an error when called from the commandline and this seems to be all over the place when I search

libpng warning ICCP: known incorrect srgb profile

Right now, I'm just ignoring it and not sure if there's anything as a user I *should* do to correct it.  Or may it is just a PI thing -- don't know at this point.

Thanks again for the Fifth browser tip - I really dig it.

My 900mhz RPI2 is really flying now with a slim picore running in ram and a fast browser to boot.   My Chromebase with an ARM V7l uP running at 2.1ghz is getting scared! :)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:47:34 PM by PDP-8 »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:34:30 PM »
Fifth browser is kind of an in-house thing, so juanito might be glad to hear about it when he comes by. ;)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 02:50:03 AM »
We know, there's a cairo bug on Picore that crashes it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »
Yup - and I jumped to conclusions with the keyboard fix.

I suppose this belongs somewhere in the fifth projects bug report area proper, but it isn't the scrollwheel per se.  So I have re-enabled it.  Using scrollbars, and even the down-arrow key will pop it depending on the site.

Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately as a repeatable diagnostic, I can force fifth the crash by merely going to the end of this very forum with the mouse, scrollbar, or down arrow key!

Not that I'm complaining - I just wish I had programmer chops to dig into it...

Offline jefferee

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 01:43:18 PM »
Stupid question here--is there any way to run fifth full-screen?

Looking for a js-capable browser I can run in kiosk mode, more or less (full-screen display of a webpage containing digital signage and/or countdown timers on a TV, with no user interaction required). Hoping to just stick a Pi Zero on the back of the TV and power it from a USB port, if I can set this up on PiCore and make it tolerant of hard power-offs.

The timer page, as currently implemented, uses js so dillo isn't an option. fifth displays it perfectly, apart from the display being windowed rather than full screen.

Offline Misalf

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 07:47:26 PM »
Depending on which Window Manager you're using, you might be able to set some rules for certain windows.
E.g when using Openbox, you could add something like this to  ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml  in the  <applications>  section.
Code: [Select]
<applications>
    <application class="Firefox" role="browser">
      <focus>true</focus>
      <maximized>true</maximized>
      <decor>false</decor>
      <layer>above</layer>
    </application>
</applications>

Offline Misalf

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »
With Fifth, nope..
xprop | grep -i role <click-on-fifth-window>
_OB_APP_ROLE(UTF8_STRING) =
xprop | grep -i class <click-on-fifth-window>
_OB_APP_GROUP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) =
_OB_APP_CLASS(UTF8_STRING) = "FLTK"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "FLTK", "FLTK"
Sorry.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 12:44:28 AM »
Fifth doesn't have a full-screen mode, but you can easily create a browser like that using WebkitFLTK. With a standalone kiosk webview, there's no risk of the browser functionality intervening, and it will behave exactly as you wish.

See https://github.com/clbr/webkitfltk/blob/fltk/Source/WebKit/fltk/testapp/testapp.cpp for a sample, you'd then order it fullscreen using normal FLTK functions, as well as any other customization you need.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jefferee

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:37:26 PM »
Fifth doesn't have a full-screen mode, but you can easily create a browser like that using WebkitFLTK. With a standalone kiosk webview, there's no risk of the browser functionality intervening, and it will behave exactly as you wish.

See https://github.com/clbr/webkitfltk/blob/fltk/Source/WebKit/fltk/testapp/testapp.cpp for a sample, you'd then order it fullscreen using normal FLTK functions, as well as any other customization you need.

Sorry, I'm not quite clear on how to compile testapp.cpp. Do I need to compile the complete WebkitFLTK, or just install webkitfltk-dev.tcz (and Python, Ruby, perl...) and then compile testapp.cpp?

Thanks for your help. Definitely interested in pursuing this for some of the digital signage stuff I'm working on.

Offline polikuo

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »
Sorry, I'm not quite clear on how to compile testapp.cpp. Do I need to compile the complete WebkitFLTK, or just install webkitfltk-dev.tcz (and Python, Ruby, perl...) and then compile testapp.cpp?

Load compiletc, webkitfltk-dev and try
g++ testapp.cpp -lz -pthread -lxslt -lxml2 -ldl -lsqlite3 -lpthread -ldl -lm -L/usr/local/lib -licui18n -licuuc -licudata -lpthread -ldl -lm -lharfbuzz -lharfbuzz-icu -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lcairo -lpng -ljpeg -lrt -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lglib-2.0 -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -lfltk_images -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lfltk -lXcursor -lXfixes -lXext -lfontconfig -lpthread -ldl -lm -lX11 -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lfltk -lwebkitfltk

See https://github.com/clbr/webkitfltk/blob/fltk/Source/WebKit/fltk/Makefile

There's no URL bar though, not sure how to cope with that.  :P

By the way, you can run
./a.out file:///path/to/local/file

Offline jefferee

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »

Load compiletc, webkitfltk-dev and try
g++ testapp.cpp -lz -pthread -lxslt -lxml2 -ldl -lsqlite3 -lpthread -ldl -lm -L/usr/local/lib -licui18n -licuuc -licudata -lpthread -ldl -lm -lharfbuzz -lharfbuzz-icu -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lcairo -lpng -ljpeg -lrt -lcurl -lssl -lcrypto -lglib-2.0 -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -lfltk_images -lpng -lz -ljpeg -lfltk -lXcursor -lXfixes -lXext -lfontconfig -lpthread -ldl -lm -lX11 -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -lfltk -lwebkitfltk

See https://github.com/clbr/webkitfltk/blob/fltk/Source/WebKit/fltk/Makefile

There's no URL bar though, not sure how to cope with that.  :P

By the way, you can run
./a.out file:///path/to/local/file

It worked, thanks!

I've got some experience with C/gcc in my day job (I'd have probably figured out to use "g++" rather than "gcc" eventually... ;D) so I figured that the makefile had all the required linker flags, just wasn't sure if I needed to compile everything else it wanted to or not.

I'll continue to mess around with the .cpp to bend it to my preferences, but so far so good.