WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: xlsfonts vs fontconfig for pi?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline PDP-8

xlsfonts vs fontconfig for pi?
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:54:22 AM »
Objective - larger fonts for Aterm.  Ver 8.1.5

Normally I'd run xlsfonts and get the long names in which I usually modify my .Xdefaults file for the desired aterm font in TC.

But xlsfonts doesn't seem to be part of the picore system.  So instead, I've got fontconfig loaded, and an fc -l shows a whole boatload of fonts - but not in the format I'm used to.

Using the output of fc-l, I'm banging my head against the wall trying each and every font in turn on that list to get *anything* to change in aterm.

Yeah, I've changed the overall resolution aplenty in my config.txt file testing around, BUT when I get to a resolution I like for Aterm, then many of the wBAR utils are just blown out all over the screen and I can't even xKill them - have to drop to a term (ctrl-alt-f1), run top, and kill the process that way. :)

If anyone has been able to get Aterm to change fonts, in *picore*, or can let me know if I need to switch to decaf, I'd appreciate it.
That's a UNIX book! - cool  -- Garth

Offline Misalf

Re: xlsfonts vs fontconfig for pi?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 07:00:33 AM »
Hi PDP-8,
xlsfonts  is contained in  Xlibs.tcz  , which should already be loaded if you're using a desktop.
However, I had a problem with  xlsfonts  too.
IIRC, the fix was
Code: [Select]
sudo ln -s /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3 /lib/ld-linux.so.3
sudo ldconfig
After that  xlsfonts  will work.
You could add the created symlink to your backup
echo "lib/ld-linux.so.3" >> /opt/.filetool.lst
filetool.sh -b
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »
Thank you Misalf!!

Now I feel at home, although unfortunately, I understand how limited Aterm is for my needs on the picore.  I got the long-term font descriptions I needed, but unfortunately, still no changes - even when accounting for resource variables to reduce errors (-*-* and the like).

Enter xfce4-terminal  !

THAT solved my font problem nicely, although I tried my best not to bulk up the system too much and keep it light.  I'll do more research on how to get aterm to play nice, but threw in the towel for now with xfce4-terminal.

Thanks  - a big day for me:

1) Terminal fonts problem fixed with xfce-terminal
2) Now running native resolution with the monitor and wBar utils that go large play nice.
3) Fifth browser !!!  I love it.

Thanks again for your hint - it pointed me in a direction that I had to go.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:52:27 PM by PDP-8 »

Offline Misalf

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »
I got the long-term font descriptions I needed, but unfortunately, still no changes - even when accounting for resource variables to reduce errors (-*-* and the like).
I have this in  ~/.Xdefaults
Aterm*font: -xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--12-120-72-72-c-60-iso8859-1
Of course, this depends on what fonts you have installed.

This should work on a default install, if it's just about the font size
Aterm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--14-130-75-75-c-70-iso8859-1

If you want character sets other than US English to be displayed correctly, you may also need to run  bash  instead of  busybox ash .
Download a copy and keep it handy: Core book ;)

Offline PDP-8

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:47:21 PM »
Misalf - thanks as always!

Unfortunately, these don't work on the ARM pi.  The output of xlsfonts only shows a small handful of fonts, about 6 of them, so choices are limited.  And, modifying my .Xdefaults or running straight as aterm -fn [.....] dont work.

This whole thing made me break out my "Think Unix" book by John Lasser to get a refresher on X resources.  Still no go, so I had to resort to xfce4-terminal on the PI.

And get this - I tried both examples on an X86, and while the first example worked, the second one did not.  YET, that font is shown as being available with the xlsfonts output!

(Note: when I edit lines in config files, I always hit return and then delete any empty lines that may follow while editing.  That has bitten me a few times in the past having config lines with no proper return in it! )

So, I'm back to studying the X resources, wondering if Aterm is limited to a stricter set of fonts, or something else is in operation.

At the end of the day, the *easiest* way for me to play with fonts on X86 at least, is to just run xlsfonts and play with the easy ones like so:

aterm -fn 10x20

or in my .Xdefaults font line (no -fn there, just the 10x20 size and that's it)

It's frustratingly fun - as long as I'm learning - so no complaints!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:51:26 PM by PDP-8 »