WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firefox-ESR  (Read 9997 times)

Offline tcFan

Re: firefox-ESR
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 06:59:42 PM »
Just to clarify, I meant I'm trying to use the "get-latest" script, it fails to start (with the error above) after installation. I'll try the pre-made package (the ESR if I'm not misunderstanding it?) but it'll probably work.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 07:12:27 PM »
Also having problems with FF:

"firefox: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so.0: undefined symbol: g_log_structured"
The following Refs[1][2][3] seem to suggest the version of gtk need be 3.4? the one I get from the tc repo are 3.2 (22?). I'm on TC 8, 32 bit.
So my only guess is that the latest version (I don't use ESR) began to use something that the tc version doesn't have anymore and it went unnoticed until now.
Pretty much only that installed. (gtk2 didn't help) Any ideas?

As you can see the first example Firefox (ESR) appears to run fine in TC-8.x x86 Base install using Xvesa.
Second example is the latest Firefox v54.0 (from firefox_getLatest extension) also on TC-8.x x86 Base install using Xvesa.

the runtime warnings shown asui are trivial and are because of running on Xvesa. 

So tcFan,  it looks to me that gtk3 is missing from your installation.  You shouldn't have an old version of firefox_getlatest,  have you recently updated firefox_getLatest which will have created the dep file to install gtk3 ? 

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 07:14:56 PM »
Just to clarify, I meant I'm trying to use the "get-latest" script, it fails to start (with the error above) after installation. I'll try the pre-made package (the ESR if I'm not misunderstanding it?) but it'll probably work.

Just to clarify,  are you referring to a "get-latest" script 
or the firefox_getLatest extension ??

Offline tcFan

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
> or the firefox_getLatest extension ??

yes, sorry, I mean the extension.

> As you can see

What do you mean? is there an image there, maybe its getting blocked...

>  it looks to me that gtk3 is missing from your installation.

system stats say it's installed..

> have you recently updated firefox_getLatest

this is pretty much a fresh "install" (I do it manually, maybe it's a permission thing again, but all this worked with the previous version), just went for firefox_getLatest, and it installed fine.. I try loading it and the icon shows up but FF never starts. trying from the console gives that message I pasted.

Just tried ESR now and, also same problem so, indeed, this is pretty much something missing here. Tried both with the radeon and with the Xvesa drivers... should I check missing deps or something? but it's all out of the box, so to speak.. maybe the link to that shared library is the problem, I installed gtk2 but put it onDemand for a different purpose, could that interfere somehow?

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 06:01:23 PM »
You cannot run gtk2 as a program, so it should never be on-demand.
It is a dependency, and will only be loaded when you load a program that depends on it.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 08:01:38 PM »
> As you can see

What do you mean? is there an image there, maybe its getting blocked...
Yes there are two images showing Firefox and firefox-ESR being installed, loaded and running with GTK3 from a default tinycore onboot.lst from iso.   Firefox-ESR was installed with APPS as shown and latest firefox was installed using firefox_getLatest extension.

Anybody else not see the posted images?  the screenshots are made public, but there have been some permission changes recently
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,20883.msg132298.html#msg132298

Note: gtk2.tcz is not required for current Firefox versions

please show contents of "onboot.lst"  thanks

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:25:37 PM by coreplayer2 »

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 08:45:33 PM »
Hi coreplayer2
Anybody else not see the posted images?
The problem must be at his end. I see the images just fine.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
Thank you Rich for confirming 

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 09:05:17 PM »
While I'm here,  because I had to verify if this issue was systemic or just effecting the OP; I downloaded the latest tinycore.iso, burned it to a CD and booted it.  I used APPS to download and install firefox-ESR and it runs just fine,  actually fine enough to post this reply.  So all is good afaik.
 :P

Offline polikuo

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:09 PM »
How about libXt.tcz ?
I believe it's a dependence of firefox which is not listed in the dep file.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 12:06:41 AM »
How about libXt.tcz ?
I believe it's a dependence of Firefox which is not listed in the dep file.
Thanks, however I think he would receive an "error while loading shared libraries: libXt.so*: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" message, but that was not the case afaik

Besides, isn't libXt an Xorg  widget toolkit and a dep of Xorg.7.7-lib which is a dep of Firefox-ESR but not of firefox if installed via firefox-getLatest.

Perhaps tcFan could load Xorg.7.7-lib extension and give feedback please?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:09:10 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 12:43:10 AM »
@ tcFan
I don't know the history of the function "g_log_structured ()"  like when it was introduced, but clearly there's a version conflict here.

So if loading Xorg.7.7-lib.tcz doesn't resolve your issue, post the entire error message here.

Then try this please:
  download the latest tinycore.iso, burned it to a CD and boot it.  use APPS to download and install firefox-ESR and try to run it please..

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:46:29 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline tcFan

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »
> so it should never be on-demand.

Here's the thing, I have to run another application from the console and this was the only thing that worked. (something about libxul, which was mentioned on 1 of those refs I placed) Btw, this makes your forum really difficult to access and most other ways, when they are not super slow or blocked, don't show the images there (dropbox is blocking). This application is supposedly stand-alone but obviously depends on some things, it also complained about not finding "file", bash (it has an explicit clause on the start script not to be run by things like "sh <cmd>") but those 2 .tcz now seem to load at boot (I think checking for unneeded said it was Xorg7.7 which is loading them now, i dont remember, I have to boot into something else to come here.. btw, it also said Xorg-lib is unneeded (and it is already loaded)), though it still complains about not finding getconf (although it runs now, after I load gtk2, onDemand). I have not checked libXt.

I don't have an optical drive here. I extract into a partition planning to use install but, up 'til now, I just end up using the thing itself and never run install. Here's the onboot.lst:

Code: [Select]
firmware-radeon.tcz
xf86-video-ati.tcz
aterm.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
wbar.tcz
kmaps.tcz
wifi.tcz
iw.tcz
pci-utils.tcz
graphics-4.8.17-tinycore.tcz
Xorg-7.7.tcz

Something strange I notice is that Xorg-7.7 loads xf86-vesa as a dep, even though I placed the radeon and ati blobs at the top. Maybe try updating something? like gtk3.. what is your version of gtk3? The ref I posted mentioned at the end that glib version was the problem.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 03:19:12 PM by tcFan »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 11:34:12 PM »
This application is supposedly stand-alone but obviously depends on some things, it also complained about not finding "file", bash (it has an explicit clause on the start script not to be run by things like "sh <cmd>") but those 2 .tcz now seem to load at boot
I'm sorry, what application are you referring to?

> so it should never be on-demand.
btw, it also said Xorg-lib is unneeded (and it is already loaded)), though it still complains about not finding getconf (although it runs now, after I load gtk2, onDemand)

Sorry my friend but you can't continue like this..
Please do not use the unneeded feature until your system is up and running 100% for a good period of time.    In today's machines there is no need for any extension to be loaded via OnDemand, imo unless your machine is more than 20 years old I believe it's more a personal preference.   aiui libraries will never be run from ondemand, though you can install from ondemand manually.      Besides that, unless gtk2 is needed for your special application why is gtk2 installed on your system at all?  If really needed then list gtk2 in onboot.lst or better still list in your application's dep file.    If firefox needs components of gtk2 they are already included within the Firefox extension,  Firefox has been built with GTK3 for some time in any case.
The way I see it..  you've attempted to make your system as efficient as possible but in the process have uninstalled required components, while all required extensions are likely present they're just not installed and or updated.     Additionally at least one extension is installed inappropriately via OnDemand..   Please familiarize yourself with the APPS > update feature for regular updates of all extensions and the Update deps feature, might come in handy..

what is your version of gtk3?
Same as yours; gtk3.0.22 on all tinycore 8.x installations and the latest CD i just created and ran with firefox-ESR and booted again this time ran firefox_getlatest all downloaded each time direct from the repo without any issue or error message at runtime.

Something strange I notice is that Xorg-7.7 loads xf86-vesa as a dep, even though I placed the radeon and ati blobs at the top.
It's a fallback to use if Xorg is unable to use any other driver in the list.

I don't have an optical drive here. I extract into a partition planning to use install but, up 'til now, I just end up using the thing itself and never run install. Here's the onboot.lst:

firmware-radeon.tcz
xf86-video-ati.tcz
aterm.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
wbar.tcz
kmaps.tcz
wifi.tcz
iw.tcz
pci-utils.tcz
graphics-4.8.17-tinycore.tcz
Xorg-7.7.tcz

Here is the default onboot.lst 
aterm.tcz
fltk-1.3.tcz
flwm_topside.tcz
freetype.tcz
imlib2-bin.tcz
imlib2.tcz
libfontenc.tcz
libICE.tcz
libjpeg-turbo.tcz
libpng.tcz
libSM.tcz
libX11.tcz
libXau.tcz
libxcb.tcz
libXdmcp.tcz
libXext.tcz
libXfont.tcz
libXi.tcz
libXmu.tcz
libXpm.tcz
libXrandr.tcz
libXrender.tcz
wbar.tcz
Xlibs.tcz
Xprogs.tcz
Xvesa.tcz

I realize that some of the above extensions maybe deps of Xorg, however rather than chasing your tail, for now maybe best to start over with a clean install from the latest tincore.iso, if you install manually remember to change the cde directory name to tce   then if wifi is needed to connect; install wifi and firmware  I don't see wifi adapter firmware in your onboot.lst?).  Then use firefox_getLatest to install firefox, there should be no errors or missing files.   Then when firefox is running as expected install Xorg

Offline polikuo

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2017, 02:18:28 AM »
I think checking for unneeded said it was Xorg7.7 which is loading them now, i dont remember, I have to boot into something else to come here.. btw, it also said Xorg-lib is unneeded (and it is already loaded)

Something strange I notice is that Xorg-7.7 loads xf86-vesa as a dep, even though I placed the radeon and ati blobs at the top

You misunderstood.

The onboot-unneeded checks for redundant tczs that will be loaded after boot whether it is listed in onboot.lst or not.

Most tcz has it's own dep file.

Every time TC loads an extension, tce-load recursively checks for the dependencies and loads them along with the extension you specified.