WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Mic problem with OSS and Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) rev 02  (Read 6381 times)

Offline alu

Mic problem with OSS and Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) rev 02
« on: June 22, 2009, 01:16:40 PM »
when you don't use something for a time, you are good to forget anything, and i am in this case tonight. trying to use wine in order to get skype running with oss. sound is ok, but i can't get my mic working; with alsa, no go... i am sure that i don't know where is the right command in oss (tried with ossmix and ossxmix for both internal and external mic, nothing). box is an acer 110L so nothing wildly new

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Mic problem with OSS and Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) rev 02
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
I don't have a mic to test with, but the test path usually would go:

- turn mic volumes up using mixer of choice
- try to record with a small app (ossrecord, use ossplay to play the file)
- then try a bigger linux app (audacity)
- then a small app in wine
- finally Skype or whatever the target is

This should help pinpoint where things fail.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 06:33:05 AM »
alu, curaga:

Sorry to trouble you. I am also trying to get skype to work under wine (see http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1232.msg10060#msg10060). Unfortunately, mucking around with OSS settings has not gotten me anywhere. Skype simply can't hear my mic.

I tried using OSS40 version but no improvement. I think I may have the Crystal 5xxx series card referred to (PC is HP 8430) but OSS0 produced the same results. Are there some drivers I can add for OSS to handle my card.

I tried replacing OSS with alsa and managed to keep flash working in firefox (alsa oss wrapper) but still no joy with the mic.

I tried doing a test using ossrecord but get /dev/dsp persmission denied. Changing permissions with root chmod did not fix this.

I did also try on a second older PC and the mic worked fine with OSS. Skype also heard it. Some problems with Skype under wine, but at least they could hear my mic.

I'm stuck for now. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

sci_fi

Offline alu

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:11:32 AM »
i went for a dual solution:

1. using a web-service enabling the use of skype (https://imo.im) or
2. using the skype extension of JLS (on this forum).

with imo.im, you can communicate with your buddies, but it is not optimal; however, my audio and mic settings worked properly with alsa (but not with oss); JLS has built an extension of an older version of skype for linux, but you can't use your camera. I didn't have time to test it now, but you can contact JLS on this forum in order to get his extension and to test it by yourself.

Offline sci_fi

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 07:19:28 PM »
Thanks, alu. I now have the skype module.  As soon as I solve an alsa problem, I will try the skype module out.

Best regards,

sci_fi

Offline clach04

How I fixed my ALSA Mic (and Skype) problem
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
Thanks to bmarkus I have Skype 2.1 running under TC (2.3). Like above posters speakers (i.e. OUT audio) works fine but Skype wouldn't take any input from my Mic.

I'm using ALSA (OSS was a complete no go, crashes which I didn't have time to pursue), and using alsamixer I can unmute my Mic and hear things over speakers/headphones.... but Skype was silently "ignoring" my Microphone

Here is my audio hardware info (from alsamixer):

Code: [Select]
Card: Sound Fusion CS46xx
Chip: Cirrus Logic CS4297A rev 4

After some trawling I found this ALSA "bug" https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/login.php?username=guest&password=guest&return=/alsa-bug/view.php%3Fid%3D1605 this was reported back in the year 2005 but still was relevant to my setup.  The important piece of information was that the ADC needed to be a capture device (and have the volume set).

Here is the full script I'm using before I run skype:

#!/bin/sh                                                                                                                                                           
#                                                                                                                                                                   
# start sound and set config for Skype                                                                                                                             
# all manual, use alsactl for saving and restoring state                                                                                                           
#                                                                                                                                                                   

# sound on                                                                                                                                                         
sudo alsaconf                                                                                                                                                       

# expected Mic volume/gain stuff                                                                                                                                   
amixer set Mic '70%'                                                                                                                                               
amixer set 'Mic Boost (+20dB)' unmute                                                                                                                               

# Fix Interesting "behavior"                                                                                                                                       
# See https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/login.php?username=guest&password=guest&return=/alsa-bug/view.php%3Fid%3D1605                                     
# See https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/view.php?id=1605                                                                                                   
amixer set ADC rec                                                                                                                                                 
amixer set ADC '70%'

Using alsamixer to set capture didn't seem to work consistently but amixer did. You can always change some items using alsamixer, e.g.:

alsamixer -V all
Just remember to scroll right to see ALL devices.

Hope this helps someone,

Chris

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:39:06 AM »
I have a similar experience to this except my microphone is enabled.

Using both the onboard sound device and a logitech usb headset, the sound "test call" is of good quality, but the microphone "test call" gives a blurred noise and many errors of the form "snd_pcm_avail_update() returned a value that is exceptionally large".

Google shows many errors of this form in connection with pulse audio, but none for alsa alone.

Did anybody see anything similar? Note that skype-oss does not work well here due to it being an older version and the telco blocking it.