WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyX + Touchpad ? No chances?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Scampada

TinyX + Touchpad ? No chances?
« on: March 15, 2017, 02:13:09 PM »
Hi,

the search page doesn't seem to work properly.
Th TinyX server can only work with 'generic mouse'.
It doesn't have synaptics extensions and other things.

Is it though any ass about face way to get touchpad edge scrolling working in TinyX?

There is no synclient OK. Could I perhaps tune some /sys classes or something? eh?
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Tiny Core Linux. Like Gentoo, except Gentoo is easier.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: TinyX + Touchpad ? No chances?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:17:07 PM »
Synaptics  touch pad support is available for Xorg.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »
Xorg is not an option; I'm trying to find a way to get some crunches in TinyX. Without synaptics. I suspect this is impossible but...

Well, one could write his own synaptics for TinyX but I suppose I'm not the man. Heh...
The winning entries in UNIX users' hymns competition were 'What's the buzz, tell me what's happening' and 'Strange Thing Mystifying' songs from A.L.Webber's musical.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 03:45:55 AM »
Answer: it depends. TinyX takes in normal ps2 events. If your touchpad can send scrollwheel events on the edge, that depends on your particular model and bios. If there's no bios settings for it, then it likely can't, and your only option that does not require coding is to use Xorg.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 02:53:35 AM »
Answer: it depends. TinyX takes in normal ps2 events. If your touchpad can send scrollwheel events on the edge, that depends on your particular model and bios. If there's no bios settings for it, then it likely can't, and your only option that does not require coding is to use Xorg.
Supposedly my BIOS doesn't have any touchpad options, it's too small and poor.
I will know how to check my touchpad model to google its characteristics.
It is software processing then, by synaptics, yep? The driver catches particular movements and sends scroll events itself.
And when speaking of coding... how deep-ass would you consider it may be?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 02:57:09 AM »
Yes, that's exactly what the synaptics driver does. I don't know your C experience, but a simple synaptics driver is not particularly complex, especially if you only interpret one special event plus normal movement.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Scampada

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 03:06:59 AM »
My C experience is below normal intermediate but above normal beginner level. Perhaps I will peek at synaptics source code and try to understand the whole thing taking low-level tricks and details off the view.